Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-18-2019, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Macbook Pro backup before repair

Ha. This time I got it to format as APFS and I added another volume to the container.

Now, sadly, I have to do the clone again. Not really sure why I am obsessing over this. : )
Old 09-18-2019, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Ha. This time I got it to format as APFS and I added another volume to the container.

Now, sadly, I have to do the clone again. Not really sure why I am obsessing over this. : )
Just for the sake of learning something?
Old 09-18-2019, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Just for the sake of learning something?

I learned that computers are possessed. I did it the same. Some little blurb flashed on the screen about "MacOS Extended [journaled]" and then it formatted APFS, with container.

Now, in Disk Utility, there's a greyed out "ghost disk" right under the top level [top level is "LaCie Rugged USB-C Media" / "USB External Physical Disk • GUID Partition Map"]. The ghost disk says "lacie 3 - clone disk and so forth" / "USB External APFS Physical Store". And then there is the container housing the volumes.

Last edited by mightyduck; 09-18-2019 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
I learned that computers are possessed.

Glad you got it sorted out
Old 09-18-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post

Glad you got it sorted out
This time it did not prompt for the "hidden disk". We'll see if it shows up.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Don't worry about it, man. If no one else wants to help because you are monopolizing the thread, then I will try a different forum. I have a working clone drive, its just weird that it won't format as APFS, ...
I agree it’s weird, but you may have it sorted now and/or it does not matter that much if you just use A HFS+ partition if you have to. But the whole scary thing about your post was you reported your applications are missing. That potentially means your clone is not OK, and more important to worry about than APFS vs HFS+. It was totally not clear what you meant which is why I asked for details. I know you are under pressure and did not want you to think that was OK and rely on a bad clone and then get burnt. If *anything* still seems to missing still, please let us know what you see. The clone system should operate like the real thing (with sometimes a possible difference with desktop boot drive icon names/appearances, and any software relying on hardware configuration fingerprinting).
Old 09-18-2019, 12:33 PM

The applications are not missing when booting from the clone. Everything is slower from the clone [normal I would think]. It did not create a "hidden" partition this time as far as I know [nothing showing up in option > start]. There is another volume on the disk now that I created when formatting.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The applications are not missing when booting from the clone. Everything is slower from the clone [normal I would think]. It did not create a "hidden" partition this time as far as I know [nothing showing up in option > start]. There is another volume on the disk now that I created when formatting.

It’s slower because you’re using a 5400/7200RPM spinning drive as opposed to the internal SSD in the MacBook Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
It’s slower because you’re using a 5400/7200RPM spinning drive as opposed to the internal SSD in the MacBook Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know. I don't like that it did not create a "hidden" disk this time. Last time there was a dialogue prompt to do that and this time no. Maybe because its APFS this time?
Old 09-18-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
You are set! I would not worry about anything or mess around more.

If your hidden comment means there is no recovery partition, don't worry about it for now. If Apple replaced your motherboard you may get back a system running Mojave with a Mojave Recovery partition. We can help you manually replace (to match you OS) or delete the recovery volume on that system. Some folks don't like to use a recovery partition (if you have a bootable clones available you don't strictly ever need it--but it's more insurance if very bad things happen).