Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 10-15-2017, 06:31 PM

Default Eleven rack shuts off after few mins

Hi guys, hopefully someone can help. I got a used eleven rack a few months ago without the software so I used it straight into my amp. Everything was going well up to a week ago it just shut off on me, I tried flicking the witch of and on and nothing, the next morning I turn it on and it was fine, few minutes after it shut off again. Almost like it was over heating or something. I had a buddy open the eleven rack up and everything looks ok but there’s a little piece that gets really hot, enough to burn your finger if you left it there. The piece has a screw so it’s removable, on it it says 780A jrc, is that supposed to happen and what exactly is that piece? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Eleven rack shuts off after few mins

Uh nope that's not usual.

You are probably looking at a 780 linear voltage regulator. If it's that hot then it or what it is driving is faulty. You either know how troubleshoot/repair that or know somebody who can or you don't. People here are not going to be able to step you though that.

It's likely cheaper to throw out the Eleven Rack and purchase a used replacement than pay anybody repair shop rates to repair this.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-15-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:20 AM

Bumping this because I've just been encountering this problem this past week. 11R just turns off, then back on at random times and intervals. I know of a few people who could help fix it if I have the correct parts, or ideally, better parts than what came standard if possible. I can order 15 of those regulators for $7 on Amazon. Could anyone point me in the right direction for the correct 780A jrc/780 linear voltage regulator? It's conceivable that maybe the problem goes deeper than the regulator, but I'm willing to troubleshoot it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-24-2019, 10:27 AM

Exact same comment as before applies. If you know somebody who understands stuff enough to fix it they can just fix it. Just get it to them. They will need to know how to diagnose basic power supply problems. Getting any parts needed, once they work out what is needed should be trivial for them to do. We cannot guess what exact part is faulty, could be a regulator, another solid state component, a thermal problem in a PCB or transformer, or something else... And I am not that excited about encouraging folks who may not know what they are doing to go poking around in a mains powered box.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:29 AM

Ok, so I fixed my problem without any unpleasant invasiveness. Two months ago, due to limited room in make-shift studio, I decided to place my 11R on it's side (it's kept in a nice gator gear heavy plastic rack mount for protection and convenience when travelling, which has rubber posts on it's side and bottom. Never had any problems with leaving it in case permanently.). After a week or so, said problem started to occur. Until one day, a couple of my brain cells created a synapse and I decided to lay it down flat like it traditionally should be. This didn't immediately fix the problem, took a few days. But now, it's been about 2 weeks and my troubles are over dude. I am only posting this because that's what we do right? Hope this can help some idiot like me out someday. So lesson learned. Don't get cute. Do not store (or run) your Eleven Rack on it's side. Put it down flat like it was designed to be. I still love this thing
Old 09-09-2019, 01:53 PM

You may have a loose board interconnect cable. Try reseating the cables if this happens again (and try to check if the Eleven Rack sounds like it is working, even if all the front panel display/LED lights are off).