Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2013, 06:23 AM

Default CPTK crossgrade to PTHD hardware?

Everyone is screaming loudly (rightfully so) about getting a slightly fairer upgrade to PTHD from the CPTK.

But what about a crossgrade to a hardware-based version of PTHD? Any interest in that?

I, for one, would love a bit of a discount to trade in my CPTK license on an HD Native rig.

Seems to me that Avid, by selling HD-only software to a select few, may shoot themselves in the foot and pump up the second hand market a bit since users with fresh PTHD licenses may decide to build a rig from unwanted/unused cards on eBay etc...

By offering a hardware path, some of those users keep their money with Avid...

Just a thought! Obviously the software-only path should still exist as there are many who have planned their entire rigs around it. But I would like to see Avid offer a hardware option as well for a a bit of a 'loyalty' discount as it were.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:08 AM

Default Re: CPTK crossgrade to PTHD hardware?

I'd also jump at that.

Surely an approved upgrade from CPTK to an HD hardware system is better for AVID than the alternative, which is selling the CPTK and PT10 licences on eBay and then using the cash to purchase...?

Digidesign (as was) used to be really great with upgrade paths... It used to be that even an MBox had value against a hardware upgrade.

Bizarre that this has been pared back.

Ps Whitecat, where abouts are you in Surrey?
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 04-26-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Atkinson View Post
I'd also jump at that.

Surely an approved upgrade from CPTK to an HD hardware system is better for AVID than the alternative, which is selling the CPTK and PT10 licences on eBay and then using the cash to purchase...?

Digidesign (as was) used to be really great with upgrade paths... It used to be that even an MBox had value against a hardware upgrade.

Bizarre that this has been pared back.

Ps Whitecat, where abouts are you in Surrey?
Absolutely... the whole system as it stands seems to be inclined to propping up the used market, and that can't be good for Avid.

I think although Avid have historically had good upgrade paths, they've tended to involve hardware. This is one time when it might be wise for them to step up and find a way to place some value on an iLok license as a trade-in.

Oh, and I'm based in Woking... website is down for a while, sorting a new one out...
Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
Oh, and I'm based in Woking... website is down for a while, sorting a new one out...
Cool... I'm in Shepperton, so we're almost neighbours (globally speaking...!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
I think although Avid have historically had good upgrade paths, they've tended to involve hardware. This is one time when it might be wise for them to step up and find a way to place some value on an iLok license as a trade-in.
Couldn't agree more (and not just because I'm a CPTK owner).

I'm pretty sure that in the past hardware used to upgrade would simply have ended up in a skip at Digidesign (although I believe some parts of non-accel cards might have ended up in Venue desks..... though that might be hearsay..!), but either way the existence of an upgrade path is an acknowledgement of previous investment in AVID products, and a sweetener to keep the customer happy and remain loyal to AVID.

In this respect I see no major difference between the hardware and software, (except that in this instance CPTK has just been End-Of-Lined with no warning).... It just seems as though AVID have had a change of mind about how to retain (or otherwise) their customers.

As an addendum to this thought (only because I'm sure someone will raise it!), there is a possible issue with those who bought their CPTK licence on the 'grey' market, rather than new, as far as AVID are concerned.
So perhaps *just* an iLok licence might not be enough... When you bought CPTK new the registration card registers the CPTK licence to your AVID account, and then the iLok licence was generated.
Given that AVID would have all these registrations on file maybe that would be used instead of an iLok licence alone?
Just a thought.
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 AM

Quite frankly, if it's easier, I'm not too worried if the guy down the road who bought a used license gets the same deal (for the record I bought all mine new!)... it would be good for Avid too as they can sell 'em some hardware! But whatever they need to do to make it happen.

As it stands now, by EOLing it and offering an expensive upgrade to software-only, some people are going to look really hard at this and say "should I stick with this platform at all."

Obviously some will say yes, they need it for compatibility, whatever... but it is a good excuse for some people to just sell off what they've got and start fresh with a new product entirely.

Offering a number of sensible upgrade paths that are fair to both Avid and the end user means they are more likely to retain a greater number of users.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 AM

We've been asking this for years. Hopefully with all the hubbub over the software upgrade they will consider this. It solves more problems than it causes. And its inline with thier new HD Hardware only for HD features policy.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM

I have just put this idea on the Protools Idea Scale. I don't think anyone has put something like that up yet.

You can vote here:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ms/108183-3779
Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I have just put this idea on the Protools Idea Scale. I don't think anyone has put something like that up yet.

You can vote here:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ms/108183-3779
Great idea, thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:43 AM

Yep,

Nicely worded.
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 04-26-2013, 11:47 AM

Agreed - I like it a lot. I'm in the Pt 10+cptk+003 plus and would love a deeper discount on a trade in to hd native plus omni.