Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2019, 05:31 PM

Default ProTools losing MIDI ports

I am using a MIDIPlus 2x2 for MIDI in/out. In MIDI Studio I have set up -- StudioLogic 880 keyboard (SL880) with input on MIDI2x2 [Emulated] = port #1 IN on MIDIPlus. -- Korg Triton-Rack with output on MIDIOUT2 [Emulated] = port #2 OUT on MIDIPlus. MIDI works fine with Instrument and MIDI tracks.
But if I
a) exit and restart Pro Tools the port assignments have disappeared
b) use MIDI Studio to Export the configuration to a DMS file and then Import the DMS file the port assignments have disappeared.
Has anybody else seen this? Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Or is this a Pro Tools bug?
Old 04-30-2019, 04:42 AM

Default Re: ProTools losing MIDI ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriTait View Post
I am using a MIDIPlus 2x2 for MIDI in/out. In MIDI Studio I have set up -- StudioLogic 880 keyboard (SL880) with input on MIDI2x2 [Emulated] = port #1 IN on MIDIPlus. -- Korg Triton-Rack with output on MIDIOUT2 [Emulated] = port #2 OUT on MIDIPlus. MIDI works fine with Instrument and MIDI tracks.
But if I
a) exit and restart Pro Tools the port assignments have disappeared
b) use MIDI Studio to Export the configuration to a DMS file and then Import the DMS file the port assignments have disappeared.
Has anybody else seen this? Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Or is this a Pro Tools bug?
Please read and follow the 'help us to help you' link that's at the top of every page. You give zero system information. While waiting for you to get back to us with that info there is one thing to check - are you on a Windows system? If so make sure that all power savings measures are turned off. Windows by default turns off power to the USB ports after a while. Also never let your computer sleep as communications with peripherals can be lost. This is but part of optimizing your computer for audio work.

The only reference to a DMS file I can find is this:
"what is a .dms file? A Disk Masher image file is encoded with compression specifications similar to the standards implemented into Amiga disk images. ... There is a version of the Amiga Forever software developed for computers running on Mac platforms, and there is also a version for Microsoft Windows-based systems."

QAPLA!
Old 04-30-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The only reference to a DMS file I can find is this:
"what is a .dms file? A Disk Masher image file is encoded with compression specifications similar to the standards implemented into Amiga disk images. ... There is a version of the Amiga Forever software developed for computers running on Mac platforms, and there is also a version for Microsoft Windows-based systems."
Since Windows doesn't have an OS based MIDI configuration ala AMS on the Mac, PT provides a way to save the MIDI config created in MIDI setup. You export to a .dms file (DigiMIDISetup).

To the OP - the MIDI Studio Setup should be persistent across sessions without having to load a .dms file. The only thing I can think of is to delete the default DMS profile located here: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Pro Tools\DefaultProToolsMIDISetup.dms and reconfigure MIDI.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 04-30-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Since Windows doesn't have an OS based MIDI configuration ala AMS on the Mac, PT provides a way to save the MIDI config created in MIDI setup. You export to a .dms file (DigiMIDISetup).

To the OP - the MIDI Studio Setup should be persistent across sessions without having to load a .dms file. The only thing I can think of is to delete the default DMS profile located here: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Pro Tools\DefaultProToolsMIDISetup.dms and reconfigure MIDI.
That's IF the op is on Windows and we don't know that. Like far too may people lately he doesn't give any system info so we're just speculating atm.

QAPLA!
Old 05-06-2019, 06:22 PM

Sorry. I am on Windows 10 64 bit running Pro Tools 2018.
And the problem(s) are that after setting up a MIDI port configuration in MIDI Studio (and having Pro Tools Instrument and MIDI tracks working just fine) then
a) after exiting and restarting Pro Tools the port assignments are missing
b) after saving the port configuration using MIDI Studio Export to DMS file and then importing that file the port assignments are missing.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:59 PM

Hi, I'm running into this issue as well.
I'm running ProTools 2019.6 on a Windows 10 64-bit PC.

My audio interface is a Behringer UMC1820
and my MIDI interface is an iConnectivity Mio10.

Again, when restarting ProTools, my custom session template
will forget the MIDI ports for all of my instruments in my MIDI studio.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem?
I've tried deleting that .dms file in the roaming folder.

Should I try deleting everything in that roaming folder instead?

Thanks,
Joshua