Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 08-22-2020, 03:02 PM

Default waveform problem on pc

I have 2018.12 Pro Tools software on pc. I've tried all the options under 'view' to get the right waveform for recording and worked with the zoom option but that didn't help. I used to have no problem until the problem just showed up and I don't know what to do, I can't record with accuracy and precision anymore. Please help thank you

Last edited by diverseradio; 08-22-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 03:24 PM

Default Re: waveform problem

Sorry, but your question is vague and confusing(to me, anyway). Maybe post a screen capture so we can see what you see. Meanwhile, Make sure that under View>Waveforms that Rectified is NOT selected(I check Peak and Outlines as my view).

Here are some other things that may matter:
1-what size is your screen(or screens)?
2-what resolution are you using?
3-recording with accuracy and precision is done by metering(waveform really only matters when it comes to editing, not recording)
4-here is a link to a youtube video showing some good info on waveform zoom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdkL01ntC6c
If you are on Windows, Ctrl+Start+Alt+[ will restore the "normal"(non-zoomed) setting(the first 3 are also referred to as "power claw" and [ means the left bracket key).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-22-2020, 04:22 PM

Default Re: waveform problem on pc

sorry don't mean to be confusing and yes the real problem will occur when it's time to edit. Rectified is not selected, peak and outlines are. I pressed alt ctrl start and left bracket but that didn't solve the problem. My waveforms used to be well more like a wave. I don't know what happened but now they are not.
Here's a picture thanks again I hope the attachment came through ok

IMG_0267.jpg
Old 08-22-2020, 06:39 PM

Hi Dave I think I can get a lot more specific. When I horizontally expand an audio track it takes way too long and ends up making edits impossible because of how fast the selected area becomes. I don't know how to fix this it's never happened to me before. also the waveform looks very different. thanks
Old 08-23-2020, 11:00 AM

sorry to keep bothering you but i'd like to try and explain my situation one last time. despite tripping over my words I've been recording ad editing for some years now and recently the waveforms have changed for no apparent reason. I think it may be a glitch. here are two more pictures, one with regular zoom the other zoomed in considerably. In both I have an imported wave file in track 1 and then my audio tracks. you are the only one who has replied to me thank you so much Dave. and I have no idea why the photos are upside down they look fine on my phone sorry I think it'll do the trick though
IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

Last edited by diverseradio; 08-23-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:04 PM

Hmmmm, First thing is to use screen capture instead of a camera. Next, the first pic (Attachment 13394) looks like either its recorded way too hot, or you have the waveform zoom too large. Where are the track meters reading on that? With digital, there is no reason to record any hotter than just hitting yellow on the meters. You can also change the vertical size of the track(not just expand the waveform) easily(one track, several tracks or all tracks)

Attachment 13398(the last pic) looks like you are zoomed way out(almost to where the waveform becomes a line, which is what you want if you are going to edit the waveform with the pencil tool)

Attachment 13397 looks completely normal to me and its a zoom view that shows the entire length of the song(what I set as zoom preset 1).

Are you hip to all the zoom options? Like R and T to zoom in/out horizontally. Or that you can change the 5 zoom presets to your liking(zoom in/out with the arrow buttons and Ctrl-click on a preset to store that setting). The there's the quick zoom option where you swipe across the part of the waveform you want to edit, and hit the E key so that selection fills the screen(hit E again to go right back to the previous view). (All these key commands are done with keyboard focus enabled).

Maybe spend some time on youtube and watch some tutorials on zoom and edit window navigation? It looks to me like things are working normally but you haven't yet learned how to use all the options yet

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-23-2020, 09:47 PM

thanks Dave. I have one more question before we part. I played around with this waveform and the only obstacle i see facing is when I cut to adjust volume or get rid of a pop for example and need the moving line during play to get a good direction of where to cut is a problem because when I zoom out the line moves to fast. It's zooming out too fast per singular click. this is a new problem for me. However this seems to be the only problem I have for this new waveform. what specific shortcut can solve this problem? I tried R and T but nothing happened (i used the zoom tool). I greatly appreciate your time and effort-Logan
Old 08-24-2020, 07:59 AM

Try Alt+Scroll Wheel will zoom in or out.

Shift+Scroll Wheel will move you up or down the Timeline.

AL+Shift+Scroll Wheel will increase or decrease the waveform height. And the waveform height normally has no relation to the signal volume.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-24-2020, 12:24 PM

thanks i guess i'll have to get used to this waveform for now I'm sorry I couldn't be more specific as to what changed whether a glitch or a pc issue idk i'll keep investigating though. I appreciate the shortcuts.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:42 PM

Default Re: waveform problem on pc FIXED PROBLEM!

in case other people have the same issue I wanted to let you know that the display resolution on the PC in general affects the zoom in Pro Tools so the smaller the icons on PC (don't go overboard) the more precision you have while editing in Pro Tools. My thanks again to Dave and The Weed