Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 11-19-2010, 03:23 PM

Default PT9, ASIO issue on Windows 7, w Focusrite Saffire 56

I've been battling this issue for a few days and hoping someone here can shed some light.

When starting Pro Tool 9 I get an error everytime:
"asio device properties have been changed by the device control panel. Pro Tools must be restarted for these changes to take effect. Please restart pro tools"

Sometimes it does it during the launch, other times it will open for about 5 seconds and then that message pops up. It forces PT to close.

System & Setup:
Pro Tools 9
Focusrite Liquid Saffire Pro 56
running Saffire Mixcontrol v2.2
Windows 7 64 bit, on a Quad Core HP w/8GB ram

The Saffire 56 works flawlessly through the MixControl without Pro Tools 9.

The 1 or 2 times PT9 did stay open long enough to view devices, I confirmed that it showed the saffire device.

Additional Info that may be a factor:
I previously had drivers for the MOTU PCIe-424 card installed.
Got an Mbox Mini v3 and Crossgraded to PT9. I got some errors as it recognized and was looking for the MOTU card. Uninstalled MOTU drivers and installed Mbox Mini drivers. It worked but only sometimes and got similar messages on startup. I think it was more the ASIO failed to initialize error though. I can't remember.
I then switched to the Saffire 56 and uninstalled the Mbox drivers after getting errors.

Anyone have similar problems or have any ideas? THANKS!

I'm currently uninstalling everything and starting over.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:58 PM

Default Re: PT9, ASIO issue on Windows 7, w Focusrite Saffire 56

You might need to clean the registry to get rid of the MOTU stuff. I experimented with the same MOTU setup(it failed) and it still appears as a device in Pro Tools, even though the hardware and drivers were uninstalled

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-20-2010, 08:38 AM

I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of PT9 and that seemed to do the trick.

I've been able successfully run PT9 sessions with the Focusrite LS56 & MixControl and it seems pretty solid so far.
I did run into a few ASIO errors and 1 crash, but I think I just need to figure out the ideal start up sequence and get familiar with what not to do in the FS MixControl app while PT9 is running. The crash happened when moving a fader in the mix control while a track was recording in PT9.

Albee, thanks for the suggestion. I did actually go in and remove all MOTU references from the registry when I uninstalled the MOTU drivers and that did help with that stage of the issues.

I'll post any other findings/solutions I encounter on this issue for future reference.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:44 AM

Looks like I spoke too soon. :-(

That "ASIO device properties have been changed by the device control panel..." error message is still popping up. Usually it's after PT9 has been running for a few minutes.

The last time it happened I was monitoring an armed track and just before the message popped up there a burst of crackle/fuzz.

One other note: I've found that I can close the error boxes instead of canceling and PT9 will stay open that way. Everything is functional except the Transport Controls and the metering.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 AM

Ah! Exactly the same problem I'm having, GAS.

Except - I'm using PT9 on a brand new Sony VAIO i7 laptop/Win 7HP with a PreSonus FireStudio.

No other audio drivers - other than the internal sound card - have ever been installed.

Same situation - sometimes PT will work for a few minutes . . . now, more frequently, I get the message on PT startup. Sometimes I can start PT - load a blank session - and then just let it sit . . . no input or mouse movement at all. Sooner or later the message comes up.

Rarely, but occasionally, I get a "no AVID hardware is installed or is in use by another application" (wording not exact) message. Re-Start PT goes back to the "ASIO Device properties . . ." thing.

Have tried holding the "n" key on PT startup to select the PreSonus - I do and no change.

I have also tried running PT without the PreSonus Universal Control open at all. In fact, I'll set up the PreSonus - then shut down and reboot the computer and not open the PreSonus Control Panel at all (it loads nothing other than the basic driver until you ask it to) . . . same problem.

I also have Cubase 5.5 installed on the same machine. It runs flawlessly with the Presonus in all situations.

Very strange . . .

I also have an i7 desktop I built - my main studio machine - with an RME PCIe Digiface interface. Have yet to try PT9 on that machine (Cubase/Nuendo are my main tools), but will try soon.

Seems PT's "works with third party interfaces" claim may not be ready for Prime Time.

Hugh
Old 11-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Arrow Re: PT9, ASIO issue on Windows 7, w Focusrite Saffire 56

Yeah Hugh, that sounds very similar to what I'm going through. That other message has made a few appearances as well.

I did also install everything on my Windows 7 HP laptop and gave it a quick test and it seems to work fine on that machine.

Using ASIO4ALL I was able to get it to run in Pro Tools on the desktop, but the inputs & outputs don't all display. It just lists 16 basic in and 2 outs instead of the complete list of LS56 IO's. At one point it was displaying all the ins & outs correctly but that was short lived.

I've dug through any support material that exists, but nothing helped.

The LS56 device only seems to have communication issues with Pro Tools.

I'm running out of things to try, but I'm sure there's a solution. I really don't want to have to return everything and start over.

Post anything you discover.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:20 AM

Since the problem may be running the FS software in tandem with Pro Tools, if you can hang on till January, Focusrite will be releasing a plugin monitoring solution. Check their web site.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-23-2010, 08:29 AM

I have the same issue on my Firestudio Mobile. The only way I can get it to go is to pop open NI Maschine in standalone first and get it to "lock" to a sample rate. If not, it always gives me that ASIO config has changed and you're pretty much screwed because you eventually just get a quit button.

So I decided fine, lemme go to the Digi 002 (WHICH STILL ISN'T MULTI-CLIENT 7-8 years later); but then I can't lock to my external clock (separate issue). The 60 days support you get after you register is a joke as well. Both my problems remain outstanding with little to no response.

I honestly think Avid pushed PT 9 out the door without really QA'ing this properly. You cannot say you support any ASIO device when it clearly doesn't. Do I have to jump back to StudioOne and wait for cs releases? Sheesh. Never stops.

Ken
Old 11-23-2010, 12:28 PM

I think I've solved my issue! I'm sure as soon as I write this it will come back, but I'm pretty sure I've found the conflict on my system.

It works great as long as I disable my wireless network card first. I don't know why it took me so long to try that. Seems like an obvious troubleshooting step.
Anyway I'm running a:
D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N PCIe, wireless network card

I did suspect that this was more of a system conflict and not a focusrite or PT9 issue. Maybe they'll be able to build in something in the next drivers to prevent this.

So my advice for now is check & disable any wireless network cards or similar hardware and see what happens.

I was able to run Pro Tools 9 smoothly with Focusrite Saffire 56 and the MixControl software running as long as my wireless network card was disabled. As soon as I enabled the D-Link card the ASIO error popped up immediately.
And all my LS56 Inputs & outputs are showing up correctly in PT now.
(I'd suggest starting a blank session rather than using one of the templates.)

Good luck. Post your results.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:03 AM

Solved mine too finally. Seems no matter what, I couldn't find the device on my machine that PT 9 was seeing as using my Firestudio mobile. So, I found that I'm able to set a default "shared" sample/bit rate for the device in my sound control panel. Magic.

The catch to switch the buffer is to do it in PT first. Exit. Then switch to that buffer in the Presonus UC. Pop open PT again. All is well. Phew. So glad that's behind me.

Good luck to everyone else.