Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-21-2002, 04:45 AM

Default Native instruments B4 and PT crash.HELP!

I have just installed NI studio edition with B4, Battery, and pro-52 synth. It is supposed to work OK with a Mac G4 350 and I have OS 9.04 with plenty of RAM allocted to DAE and PT (Mixplus 5.1.1). The problem is with a session of 20 tracks and one plug-in instance HTDM of B4 the track will play for a few seconds then freeze with the white hand of death until reboot. Pro-52 does not freeze but a message comes up saying not enough CPU allocate more in the Hardware setup which I have tried but it still wont work. This was an expensive bundle and I am awaiting a response from NI but I would be grateful for any advice. I might need to upgrade the processor on the G4, can this be done on my existing machine rather than buying a new one? Anyway NI said it should work and it does not, so I am a little upset!!

James Cullen
Nimrod Audio
Old 04-22-2002, 07:59 AM
Avid

Default Re: Native instruments B4 and PT crash.HELP!

I have OS 9.04 with plenty of RAM allocted to DAE and PT (Mixplus 5.1.1).

How much is "plenty"?

Taken from the HTDM FAQ:
Quote:
A good rule of thumb will be to add roughly 20 Megabytes per Plug-In to the memory allocation of DAE. Please note that some HTDM Plug-Ins also require more memory in Pro Tools, so it might be a good idea to allocate significantly more memory to Pro Tools also. Running several Plug-Ins simultaneously might require as much as 200 Megabytes for DAE and Pro Tools or even more!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In addition:
Trash the Pro Tools preference and DAE prefs (the entire folder) from the System Folder>Preferences folder.

-When allocating more RAM to PT and/or DAE, only alter the Preferred value and not the Minimum. If you have, you can set the Minimum memory field back to the default setting by typing a 0 into the field and press Enter on the numerical keypad.

-Reduce your Disk Cache to 512k.

-An extension conflict can also be to blame...Create a Mac OS Base set, enable the following items and restart the computer:
-Digidesign Control Panel
-DigiSystem INIT
-Digidesign Direct I/O
-Digidesign DSP Manager
-Digidesign Stream Manager
-Open Music System
-USB Floppy Enabler

Brent
Old 04-22-2002, 09:09 AM
Stephan Sippel, Native Instruments Stephan Sippel, Native Instruments is offline

Hello James,

I would say this looks like a CPU overload. We know that in these cases audio may become distorted, but a hangup as you've described we haven't seen so far here. You could deactivate a number of tracks to see if this solves the situation - if so you may find a limit of tracks that will work without overloading the CPU.

Please notice that it is possible to reduce the CPU load of B4 HTDM: by reducing the number of tones in B4's polyphony menu you can do so more or less without loosing sound quality.... you may hear a difference but it is not too annoying in most cases. This settings reduces the maximum number of virtual tonewheels which saves CPU time.

Best regards

Stephan Sippel, NI
Old 04-22-2002, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the replies. NI tech support have also responded quickly and think it may be a bug with 48K as it was a 48k session, at 44.1 it behaved on a single Aux track but I will try it with a larger session and report back.Also 9.1 works better than 9.04 apparently.

However, Stephan I am disappointed at having spent 900Euros on software which is quoted as working with 300Mhz G4's only to find it does not. At this level I feel it should be more robust and I hope we can get it to work otherwise I shall be upset, it really ought to work at the specs that are quoted. Idid think about it long and hard and when I saw these specs felt i should go for it. I may have to get a new computer and that will be a major hassle as i have many software plugs that are going to be difficult to transfer etc.

Sincerely yours,

James Cullen
Old 04-22-2002, 04:10 PM

Brent and Stephan, thanks , I have tried what you said and the system is now working fine. I allocated 200mb to DAE and PT and set up a base set 9.04 as stated and trashed the DAE and PT prefs. The B4 is now working on 48K sessions. Its not entirely clear what was causing the problem but this has fixed it. Pro-52 is also working. They sound great. Iam yet to try Battery but will report any problems if found

Thanks for your support

James
Old 04-23-2002, 11:45 AM
Avid

Another suggestion: Try yanking any and all RTAS plug-ins from your session. There may be an RTAS/HTDM conflict.

Jim West
Digi Engineering
Old 04-24-2002, 12:49 AM
Stephan Sippel, Native Instruments Stephan Sippel, Native Instruments is offline

Hello,

please check your memory allocation for DAE when using especially Battery PTE - please see the readme for this. Battery has to load all sample data into DAE memory, so there may be plenty necessary. In order to load larger drumkits with 100 MB sample data you would have to allocate about 110 MB to DAE.

Memory allocation for Pro Tools needn't be so high. I would say 150-200 MB should be o.k. in most cases. If you encounter automation problems or sessions not reloading as expected PT may need more memory.

BTW I checked our official system requirements for the Studio Collection and it is 350 mHz.... you shouldn't mix up B4 standalone and B4 PTE (included in the Studio Collection). B4 standalone has lower requirements. (....yes, a bit confusing....)

best regards

Stephan Sippel