Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2009, 10:04 PM

Default Help trimming down a track

Alright, when I record a single vocal track of someone if they mess up and we start a new track instead of doing the entire thing over again i can only trim the track in like one second intervals, meaning it tends to cut words in half or have an unwanted layer. Is there some setting i can use to make it select exactly what i want to delete? any advice will be great. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Help trimming down a track

Get out of Grid mode and into Slip mode. Have a good read in the manual about how these modes work (as well as Shuffle and Spot modes)
Old 11-26-2009, 06:19 AM

Well said. And also pay attention to how the grid chages depending on what the counter shows. Usually, it makes the most sense to have the counter show bars and beats. That way, the grid will follow the song tempo. Learn how to punch in so you can make minor fixes. Then learn about using the Playlist so you can record several passes on a single track and then COMP them down to one really good track. DigiTV and youtube have some great teaching video tutorials on this.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-26-2009, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the tips, that defiantly fixed the problem. There is just so much in the instructions that its easy to miss out on some of it. With out this forum i would be done for haha. Thanks again for the feed back.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:28 AM

I can recommend a book that really helped me: Producing In The Home Studio with Protools by David Franz. Make sure you get the 3rd edition, as it's the newest, and includes DVD tutorials and sessions (you can get it on Amazon). It does not cover PT8 but still covers 99% of what you need (Some things will be even easier in PT8). It's very down to earth and also covers some basic principles of recording in general.