Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 12:07 PM

Default applying pitch to an audio file from a midi file?

Hey, this is something I've been having trouble with for a while... Is there a way I can slice up an audio track and have the slices play from a midi track, with the midi notes determining the pitch and placement of each slice, in order? Like, if I have an audio file of me reading the lyrics to "Independent Women Part 2" in a monotone voice, and I have a downloaded midi file of the song, with the vocal track separated out, how can I apply that midi vocal track to the file of me singing and have it come out sounding like I'm singing the notes with the correct pitch and rhythm?

I have Reason Adapted, and could do it with Reason 2.5 if I felt like spending $300 (I don't); I downloaded the pHATmatik VST demo, but the only VST-friendly app I have is Peak, and I can't make it work with that; I could spend $100 on the VST-to-RTAS adaptor and use pHATMATIK with Pro Tools LE, but don't feel like spending that either. I do have Pro Tools LE, Reason Adapted, Recycle (full), and the adapted version of Live that comes with PT LE.

I have a feeling I can do this with just Pro Tools LE, but I'm not sure; can anyone suggest something that doesn't involve money? It doesn't have to sound good or especially accurate, I just want something that will work in some way, shape or form, automatically, without me spending hours manually pitching each slice. BTW, if there's a way to do this without slices, that's fine too.

CK
Old 07-28-2004, 01:25 PM

Default Re: applying pitch to an audio file from a midi file?

You could learn to sing,,,
Old 07-28-2004, 01:54 PM

Suffice it to say that's not an option either.

Actually, what I'm doing is making a remix for my friend Digiki, who's having an open-to-everyone remix un-contest (http://mapage.noos.fr/castellane/remix.html). My idea for it is to take a downloaded MIDI file of Aaliyah's 'Try Again,' and switch out all the midi instrument tracks with long audio tracks: Digiki talking, other already-submitted remixes, etc. The challenge has just been trying to figure out how to train the audio tracks onto the midi tracks. Once I figure it out, I expect (ha!) it to take just a few minutes to say "this audio goes over this midi, this one goes over that one, etc." and have it done. I fully expect it to sound like a noisy, horrible mess, but that's what I'm going for.

CK
Old 08-04-2004, 03:04 PM

Okay, how about this: does anyone know how to just attach a single sample to a midi note sequence, so it pitches up and down with it? Anyone? Help!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:52 PM

Doesn't Reason Adapted have the NNXT in it? You could record yourself into PT, edit and bounce all your slices down to wavs, load them into the sampler giving each slice a different Midi value and then trigger the NNXT via the MIDI notes. Would sound pretty funky, but I think this is what you're trying for anyways...
San Diego, CA
Old 08-04-2004, 08:34 PM

This was my thought at first, roughly, but as it turns out, Reason Adapted comes only with the NN17 sampler. The NN17 has no way to import midi slices, and while I can easily import an .rx2 into it, I can't easily auto-wrap it over a MIDI track. And I don't fancy manually transposing a four-minute MIDI piece into the NN17, switching back and forth between apps and pitching each slice to where it needs to be, then finding some way to transfer the groove from the MIDI track.

I may be able to do it with pHATmatick Pro, though, and I'm messing around with that now, now that I found a VST-friendly base app.

For my second question; is there a way in PTLE to assign a sample instrad of an instrument voice to a MIDI file?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:40 PM

Not that I know of. Not without using a Sampler plug-in or app.
San Diego, CA