Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM

Default Mem Locations and Windows Config - How do you use them?

I'm on my 4th day of my trial of PT10. So I wonder how you use these functions?
How are these making your workflow faster? I'm open for ideas to enter my brain

I've got the grasp of recording/playlists/comping/name convention so far, but more noobie PT questions are to be expected . Mainly in the workflow departement, as I know producing, recording and mixing etc quite well.

It's actually going faster to get into PT10 than I feared (Did some work in PT8LE when I got my 2 Eleven Racks, but didn't bond).

I've set for my self 2013 to be my "year to learn Pro Tools better". I've have been using Nuendo and Cubase for about 12 years now, but want to broaden my horizon (and be prepared for PT11 in 64 bit ).
Old 01-09-2013, 12:24 PM

Lightbulb Re: Mem Locations and Windows Config - How do you use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredo View Post
So I wonder how you use these functions?
I have a config for edit and a config for mix. It allows me to quickly change window sizes, locations, whether or not I see my plug-ins, etc.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Mem Locations and Windows Config - How do you use them?

This doesn't directly answer your question (and I hope I am not breaking any forum rules by mentioning it) but I would strongly suggest you get at least a trial membership to Lynda.com

If it is your first few days with Pro Tools, Lynda has some really killer tutorials (like this one) that can really make all the difference in the world when you are learning a new DAW and its features. The videos each explain a different topic, and you will find there are videos specifically dedicated to explaining the features you asked about.

Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 AM

Lynda is a good suggestion, as would be youtube and Pro-Tools-Expert.com. Toss them a donation and you'll have access to all sorts of tutorial videos. Personally, I don'w use the Windows Configs much, but I have 2 screens and keep plugins on the 22" to the side, and MIX/EDIT on a 32" in front of me(switching between with 2 buttons on a Presonus Faderport). Memory locations are handy as location points, so I drop markers at points of the song(like verse 1, chorus 1, bridge, solo, etc). I also drop markers at any spot in a song that I need to return to(like if i hear a timing issue, a sour note, a glitch, etc)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM

Thanks guys. Keep'em coming

I'm holding a steady pace and have found plenty information and videos online. When thinking about it, I have a video from Lynda on PT8LE here. I may invest in the PT10 video as well.

I am used to markers, but Memory Locations has much more to it. I will use it a lot. Nice .

As for Windows Cofigurations I will make a few useful ones, and do some muscle memory training.

That said. The Keyboard Shortcuts are starting to stick in my fingers (and brain), and I'm having a great time learning more of PT10.
Due to restrictions in PT8LE, like the missing delay compensation, propriarity etc, I actually never gave it a chance.

I guess the upgrade to PT10 is not that far away ;-).