Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2019, 08:26 PM

Default Kontakt Multiprocessing settings

I've always had multiprocessing support turned on in Pro Tools. I can't definitively say if it helped or hindered, though recently I've had plenty of issues with Pro Tools and Kontakt (that's for another time). Having said that vaguely recall long ago turning on multiprocessing support in Kontakt and it solved some issue.

I just stumbled across this:

Kontakt loaded in a DAW – “as most DAWs already support multiprocessing you want to TURN OFF multiprocessor support in your Kontakt instances in your template, as this is being handled by your DAW. This will increase the efficiency of your machine and its handling of your samples loaded into your template.”

and...

From Kontakt manual:
Multi-processor settings are saved independently for a) the stand-alone and b) all plug-in versions.

When running KONTAKT as a plug-in, multi-processor mode can sometimes cause crackles and drop-outs. Whether or not these noises occur during playback strongly depends on your individual software and hardware setup. Therefore, the only option is to test which multi-processor setting works best for you when using the KONTAKT plug-in. Note that multi-processor support is disabled for the KONTAKT plug-in per default (off entry in the Multiprocessor Support
menu).

Is this correct? I should have multiprocessing turned off in Pro Tools? I can't find any DAW specific documentation.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Kontakt Multiprocessing settings

I know in VEPro 6 it's recommended to turn off multiprocessing support in Kontakt. Personally I've seen no difference between having it on or off. Then again I don't load one instance of Kontakt with multiple different instruments either. I'll run trumpets in one instance, oboe in another, 1st violins in yet another, etc. That's the usual method for trying to balance out cpu usage amongst cores. Same with any sampler vi like EW Play engine stuff.

QAPLA!
Old 02-28-2019, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Kontakt Multiprocessing settings

Thanks @musicman691

I've also can't notice any difference with it on or off, so I'll leave it off. I did find a few threads after posting this that recommend that it should be off.