Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2004, 01:03 PM

Default I am so screwed. Paging Alan H......

I bought an 002r a month ago, and a laptop about six weeks ago. The 14 day window for returning the computer has passed. I have:

Emachines M5309
Mobile AMD Athlon(tm)XP 2500 +
1.86 ghz
448 ram

I called tech support because of the near constant 6085,9093,and 6089 errors ( I did searches on them and made every adjustment I could dig up on the DUC, except for sharing IRQ,IDE channels because I don't understand what that is or how to change it).

I gave him the info listed above and he told me this machine isn't supported because of the chipset and that I'm out of luck. I realize they have to say that regarding non-supported machines - but checking the compatibility portion of the website, there is nothing saying my machine is incompatible.

I'm begging anyone that may have an emachine or Allan to please confirm that I am completely out of luck. I can't afford another laptop so this would be the end of the road for me, and I'm very panicked. I sold my whole 001 setup to pay for this and I'll have nothing to work with.

He based the chipset comment on what is listed in Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers -
the first thing listed is ALi M5229 PCI Bus Master IDE controller.

I could really use help/advice/opinions........

Thx,

Paul
Old 05-21-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Re: I am so screwed. Paging Alan H......

Okay, so no replies to this.

Are the problems related to the chipset specific to the software, or hardware? Can I use Sonor with the 002 hardware interface and not have the same compatibility issues?

If it is software specific, can I use Sonor & ASIO and have full use of the interface?

That's the only workaround I can see short of being forced to dump $1700 on a second laptop.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated - I've always counted on the DUC previously to help me out years ago w/the 001, and I'm hoping some of the old guard might be bothered to give some advice.

Thx,

P
Old 05-21-2004, 01:36 PM

Default Re: I am so screwed. Paging Alan H...... *DELETED*

Post deleted by TheLP
Old 05-21-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Re: I am so screwed. Paging Alan H......

The Ali chipset has never been supported.
Unlike some components that are "unsupported" but can work, that chipset has always been problematic.