Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2004, 01:27 AM

Default Re: DVD 5.1 sound thru Digi002 on OSX - help!!!!!

It isn't so simple, as a DVD is encoded in either Dolby Digital or DTS, and thus requires a decoder, which the 002 does not. I am experiencing this same problem where I work, and we are going to go the outboard DVD player running into the pro tools in (we have an HD system, but for this it doesn't make much difference)

The only other way I can think of doing this, is to somehow use the optical port on our G5 (if you don't have a G5, this doesn't apply to you) and plug that output into the optical input of the interface. Not sure if the optical cable carries the already decoded signal (I seriously doubt it) but it's worth a shot.

Just bite the bullet and get a standalone DVD player. The bright side is that you will have less "hours" on your computer's DVD drive.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:50 AM

Quote:
It isn't so simple, as a DVD is encoded in either Dolby Digital or DTS, and thus requires a decoder, which the 002 does not.
but software should be able to - but at the moment it doesnt seem that there is any software out there that will do this...

Quote:

Just bite the bullet and get a standalone DVD player. The bright side is that you will have less "hours" on your computer's DVD drive.

eh no thanks, I dont want to

I dont think dvd drives crap out at a certain number of hours
Old 12-01-2004, 03:57 AM

no ones biting heads

but it seemed you hadnt read the original post that clearly stated that I wanted to play the dvds on a mac
Old 12-01-2004, 04:07 AM

Default any software programmers out there?

mpeg video is being decoded by dvd players that work on the mac so why arent they decoding the audio in a proper way which allows you to listen in the way the director intended - i.e. decoding dolby stereo or 5.1 and allowing you to route it to your speakers

I suppose its only software programmers out there who know how difficult this would be to add to existing dvd playing software.... Im amazed someone hasnt done it before
Old 12-01-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Re: any software programmers out there?

Well, lets see. Because the DVD player in the computer was not put in there to play movies?, or because most folks who would want that full 5.1 experience would also have a problem with the constant hum/whine of a computer in the background? Or because with all that sound most folks would also want a bigger image than the one on your computer? Or because most computer buyers would have a problem paying the license fee to decode the AC3 streams added to the cost of the PC when for $75 they can get a DVD player at Costco and set it up in a comfortable quiet room to watch their movies.
If you really need to watch at the computer then I think the Digital out built in to some Mac's can stream the the AC3 (not positive on this) and you could rout that to a decoder and back into your 002. But the 002 is not an "entertainment" center and it's not a "Sound Blaster" sound card so I wouldn't hold my breath on having an "in the box" solution.

Now my big beef is that I got this MG and I can't fit a 4X8 sheet of plywood in the back seat. I just spent all this money on the sports car and I don't want to spend more on a truck. Anybody know where I can pick up a free lumber rack for an MG?

Quote:
mpeg video is being decoded by dvd players that work on the mac so why arent they decoding the audio in a proper way which allows you to listen in the way the director intended - i.e. decoding dolby stereo or 5.1 and allowing you to route it to your speakers

I suppose its only software programmers out there who know how difficult this would be to add to existing dvd playing software.... Im amazed someone hasnt done it before
Old 12-01-2004, 09:59 PM

Default Re: any software programmers out there?

If you look at the audio/midi set up you can see all a programmer would have to do is make 4 more analog outs available thru the interface. I watch DVDs all the time in Stereo tru my 96i/o I don't see what the big deal is for them to write that in... but I also don't think it would be a big deal to go out to radio shack a buy a $50 stand alone.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:53 AM

M-Audio USB Sonica may help but it's $120.00
Route the otputs into your 002 aux in's
They also make a PCI Hi Fi version $500.00

"Looking for surround sound from your USB computer or laptop? Sonica Theater let’s you play DVDs, games and all your music in up to 7.1 surround sound..."