Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 03-11-2004, 12:18 PM

Default firewire routers

I am currently teaching a course on documentary. One of the areas we are covering is audio documentary and the students are working on 5-7 minute projects. As those of you working in computer labs on college campuses know, the lack of an OSX version of PT Free has created a variety of headaches for those of us who want to continue to use this software. I've been lucky in that a few of our older machines can't be updated to OSX; however, that also means that those machines don't have much HD space. I purchased a EZQuest Cobra 120GB portable HD and I'm wondering if there is a way to use a router so the HD can be used by two people at one time on two separate machines. Folks in my lab tell me that this isn't possible but I see routers advertised.

The software would be on the machine itself. The portable HD would be used to store the projects and would potentially be accessed by two people at one time (each working in a separate partition on the drive). So, has anyone here used a setup like this (basically turning the the portable HD into a server of sorts)? If so, can you recommend a specific router? Thanks for any help with this. Take care.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:31 PM

Default Re: firewire routers

I don't quite understand what OSX has to do with HDD capacity. My 8600 runs OS9.1, and I have plenty of storage. A total of nearly 180GB with 3 drives to be exact. Since OSX takes up much more space than 9 if I decided to install Jag on here with XPostFacto(which I don't plan on with a measley 400MHZ/576MB, and an unsupported video card) I would actually end up with less free storage for apps/audio files.

ATA host cards/drives are dirt cheap these days, and have better performance than the stock busses on all but the last generations of G4s.

The problem I see with the router scenario is bandwidth. Trying to stream multiple tracks of 16/44.1 audio from a single external drive to two different CPU's via any interface looks like a nightmare if not impossible to me.

Don't throw away those old Macs yet though........
Old 03-15-2004, 02:57 PM

I guess I should have been clearer about that. There's no direct connection between the OS and storage per se; rather, we only have three machines running OS9 in our computer lab and all of those machines are older with little storage space. The newer machines have much more space (but all of those run OSX, which doesn't run PT Free). So, I'm trying to find solutions for folks who don't have their own portable HD. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:48 AM

I would seriously consider moving storage to an ATA PCI card. It's the best bang for the buck to keep those OS9 machines going.

I have a Tempo Trio in my 8600. Those are pricey, but have FW and USB in addition to ATA. It's performed well so far with 2 WD JB drives. I boot off one, and record onto the other. My 3rd drive is a Barracuda narrow SCSI on the stock internal bus that I use as a backup for my boot volume, and a second boot drive for running disk utilities.

If your looking for portable storage for audio FW is the way. It can be a bit problematic sometimes on older machines like early G3's. Many people report better performance with host cards on those than the native ports.