Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 01-31-2011, 01:50 PM

Default Separate a region - multiple tracks?

Feels like a dumb question here but I can't seem to make sense of the separate region function in Pro Tools. I would like to separate three regions across three tracks at the same spot (so I can then fade them in together). The behavior seems almost random where sometimes it separates just the track in focus, and other times it separates regions across all tracks. Other times it just highlights the tracks and won't seem to let me get to the right-click menu. Any help here would be appreciated to save my sanity.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Separate a region - multiple tracks?

It could have something to do with the "link track and edit selection" feature turned on or off. But that's only a suspicion...
Old 01-31-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyco View Post
Feels like a dumb question here but I can't seem to make sense of the separate region function in Pro Tools. I would like to separate three regions across three tracks at the same spot (so I can then fade them in together). The behavior seems almost random where sometimes it separates just the track in focus, and other times it separates regions across all tracks. Other times it just highlights the tracks and won't seem to let me get to the right-click menu. Any help here would be appreciated to save my sanity.
Hi,

If you want to edit tracks together you need to select them all or create a group of the tracks. creating a group would be the easiest for separate region.

To do fades across multiple tracks you need to select them or group them and hold shift.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club_Build A Tower top 20 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 Control 24 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:09 PM

Another option if it it just a one off and you don't want to group tracks etc. is to make sure the "az function" is on in the top right of the edit window and then just click on the first track with the selector where you want to separate, then hold shift and click on the other 2 tracks and once all 3 are selected hit the "b" key on your keyboard or if you want to get rid of the region part prior to the selector just hit the "a" key
Old 01-31-2011, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the assistance. Chris, when you say "select them all", how exactly is that done? If I actually select the regions with the grabber (they become darker), then the option to separate regions is greyed out. If I try and select the track by selecting the track names (they become whiter) than I'm back to having all regions separate, not just the ones I want. Ugh.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyco View Post
Thanks for the assistance. Chris, when you say "select them all", how exactly is that done? If I actually select the regions with the grabber (they become darker), then the option to separate regions is greyed out. If I try and select the track by selecting the track names (they become whiter) than I'm back to having all regions separate, not just the ones I want. Ugh.
Try the aptly named "selector tool". The grabber aint gonna help.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:49 PM

Red face Re: Separate a region - multiple tracks?

Aha! Yes, of course. Select audio with the selector tool. (is that the "embarrassed" smiley?) I'm coming from another DAW and getting confused by all of these logical tools in PT. Thanks.