Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Default Can't receive MIDI in Pro Tools 8.

Evening
I'm having difficulty getting MIDI into my daw. I'm running the following setup:
MacBook Pro IC2D 2.4Ghz, OS 10.6.5, Pro Tools 8.0.3, Digi 002. Controller is Roland PC-70, connected into the 002 at the MIDI in.
When the keyboard is powered on, the MIDI In light is flashing on the 002. When I press keys the light responds by flashing more rapidly. I've had no difficulty triggering a Roland synth module that I also own.

I just can't get the MIDI to talk to my software. When I view the instrument config at the very top of the mix window, the MIDI channel has only 'All' as an option and the menu below it has only 'None' (can't remember what that selects). I opened up garageband to test, and as far as I can tell, it was also unable to see MIDI coming in.
I've tried the following things: trashing pref's etc, manually adding the controller in the OSX audio/midi setup, updating all software.

I'm going bonkers. Any ideas?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Can't receive MIDI in Pro Tools 8.

AMS Test validate connectivity? Is Pro Tools MIDI Thru checked? Have you instantiated a VI thus the Instrument tracks MIDI Output assignment should read the inserted VI?
Old 12-14-2010, 07:40 PM

Thanks for your response.
The AMS Test gives me no usable results. When I hit the test setup button, nothing happens and the icons become unmovable. Nothing turns red.
Pro Tools MIDI Thru has been checked, but I tried it both checked and unchecked with no success with either.
I'm not sure what you mean by instantiated... Once a VI has been assigned the MIDI out does read the name of the VI.

Really appreciate insight. I have tried so many things and just cannot get anything in my computer to see any sign of MIDI. My next step will be to try a borrowed controller, but since the MIDI-in light on the 002 is already responding to signals, I'm not optimistic that this will help...

Any other suggestions?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWitt View Post
The AMS Test gives me no usable results. When I hit the test setup button, nothing happens and the icons become unmovable. Nothing turns red.
AMS seem to be your problem at this stage.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Have you gone to Setup>Midi>Midi studio and created a device(the Roland and selected the 002 midi in? That should make the Roland be available(and it should work by default the next time you create an Instrument track and insert a VI). Try this and insert either MiniGrand or DB-33 for testing.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 PM

Okay, so here are some clues.

albee: I had tried creating this extra device, but it would just remain as a default and show no real signs of life. No response to the test setup function.

So I tried to create a new MIDI configuration, to start from scratch. I found that when I did this, the digi 002 (this is a 002R, btw) did not show up. I would just have IAC Driver and Network, and there was no way for me to manually add the Digi 002 (the only option for adding a Digidesign device was 'PRE')

I'm wondering if the computer (DAW, OSX, etc) isn't recognizing the Digi 002 as a MIDI device any more. Does that make sense? I don't remember exactly when I upgraded to Snow Leopard but it could have happened around that time... All audio functions are still functional, but if the AMS isn't auto-populating it in the MIDI setup, then it may be failing to recognize that component.

Since this began I've been digging around for the latest drivers for the 002R and I have found zero. The Avid Knowledge base seems very limited.

Does this give any further clues to anybody? Really appreciating the suggestions.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 PM

\Digidesign\Pro Tools find MMERefresh, double click this and try again. If not uninstall and reinstall Pro Tools.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:07 PM

Try this first.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:05 AM

Much thanks, I'll try this shortly
Old 12-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
\Digidesign\Pro Tools find MMERefresh, double click this and try again. If not uninstall and reinstall Pro Tools.
That's only for Windows systems.

I would suggest trashing the specific MIDI preferences per the instructions in the General Troubleshooting thread.

If that doesn't help, try creating a new admin account, sign into it and test from there - let us know if things work properly in the new account.