Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-02-2010, 11:57 AM

Default DAE -4 and 9003 on PT Start

So I fired up my system after way to many months and as PT starts DAE error -4 followed by 9003. I searched and saw this but where is the DigiSetup file that I should "throw away". Just wanted to try what I can before I call support. Suggestions please. :)

DAE error -9003 when launching Pro Tools.

HostTimeoutErr. A DSP did not respond to a command that DAE issued through the DSP's host port interface. Possible Audio Card failure.

Determine if it's a hardware configuration problem first. Throw away the DigiSetup file and restart the system. If that doesn't alleviate the problem, verify hardware configuration and that the necessary INITs are loading properly. Verify the contents of the DAE Folder, that all needed software and drivers are present and that compatible versions are being used together. Verify that cards are in their proper placement in the Mac, seated firmly, and all peripherals are turned on and responding properly, and that the cables are connected. Open a soundfile with Sound Designer or a simpler session in the DAE application. If problem persists, it would indicate a faulty Audio Card. Determine which audio card is at fault by trying one at a time.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM

Default Re: DAE -4 and 9003 on PT Start

I have two systems, both which went through this around the same time....and both were on Windows machines. One of them was intermittent but ultimately had a complete failure, Digi replaced it. When we had the problem we'd pull the card, clean it, put it back in and it was fine. But then it became so clean we realized that wasn't the issue. So then I thought it was a DC Voltage issue with a bad solder connection as I was also getting problems with my Venue DShow connected to it. Well my system at home started getting worse and worse---- I thought it was the card, turned out the card was perfectly fine after numerous tests, swapping of test cards, I/O units, cables, etc.... I then moved to a Mac---PROBLEM GONE.
blyons@gcpro.com
www.theaudioprofessional.com
Old 02-02-2010, 03:24 PM

It is a Mac G5. Worked fine last time I fired it up but that was at least six months ago. Called tech support and they are down with phone issues. I'll try again.

Thanks.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Talked to support and I have a bad card. Will need to exchange it. Running on one core / one process now, just fine.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:56 AM

Just an update for anyone else that has this problem. Digi was nice enough to swap cards a few years ago when I had a different start up problem but won't swap this card for me. The machine was working fine but had been sitting for the past 6-8 months, unused. Runs great without the bad process card and I don't really need it, doing really simple classical sessions now.

So to get the card fixed will be $350 to $500 plus shipping etc, it is a non accel process card. Those cards appear to be worth about $500 -$700 on ebay. So I'm looking into a hardware exchange.

Not thrilled with the cost and thought Digi would help me out. Last time they FedEx'd new cards and a return box for free. Guess the economy has changed, eh?

At least they didn't charge me to talk to tech support. :)

Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 PM

I have recently installed a new ATI x1900 XT video card for my mac pro 4 core and since then PT would boot and get stuck on DSI and never get to the point of loading plugins. I got a error -4 and then -9003 (a fresh install of protools and a fresh osx and new 1TB drive). i cant find error -4 anywhere on this forum. my studio is at a stand still. Please help. any ideas?

the cards worked intermittently just a few days ago. i hope its not my card gone bad. i have a HD2 and i cant afford to have the card fixed. anybody know of them replacing the card after the warranty is over?

video card from apple profile
ATI Radeon X1900 XT:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7249
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A52027-202