Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 03-03-2004, 11:14 AM

Default Can\'t Hear Anything

Ok, I'm really excited about using Pro-tools, but need to get it working first.

1 -- I normally use PCs, but I have a fairly new Mac G-4, and would like to set up Pro-tools FREE for recording both audio and midi. The point is, I'm not a Mac expert, but can sort of make my way around. I can start the Mac in OS 9.2. I have plenty of memory, etc.

2 -- I installed Pro-tools Free a little while ago. I already have my midi-connection set up with OMS, etc, and my midi keyboard is working.

3 -- I should also mention I know nothing about Pro-tools, but I've used a couple of other computer recording programs.

4 -- Anyway, back to problem: I created a new midi track. I arm it to record. I play keys on my midi keyboard, and I can see the green audio bar rise and fall. This is good!

5 -- However, I can't hear anything.

6 -- I try recording, and I can see the notes appear, so I am recording...this is good! But, alas, I CANNOT HEAR ANYTHING.

7 -- QUESTION: Can someone please give me some things to try in order to hear my keyboard and recordings.

8 -- QUESTION: Also, this Mac does not have any audio input jacks...so I have to buy some sort of card. I want to be able to plug in my electric guitar to record. I want to make sure I buy the right kind of card, or jack or whatever that will work ok with Pro-tools. Can someone recommend an input jack, not necessarily a brand, but the kind of jack that I need?

9 -- QUESTION: Can someone recommend a great synthesizer plug-in for Pro-tools FREE?

Thanks a million
Old 03-03-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Can\'t Hear Anything

Bummer...things have gone from bad to worse. While awaiting an answer from this forum, I tried using OMS panel to make sure my midi keyboard was properly connected. After running 'Easy Set Up', I launched program again, and this time, Pro-tools cannot recognize my keyboard at all. The audio level bar does not show up when keys are pressed, and I can't seem to get it back.

Then I tried raising the CPU allowance for Pro-Tools FREE. After that, I tried playing some notes on my midi keyboard, and the program crashed/vanished. I put the CPU allowance back where it was, then re-launched program several times with same unfortunate results -- crash/vanish.

I have now re-installed Pro-tools FREE a couple of times, including deleting old Preferences, and now every time I press a key on midi keyboard, the program crashes/vanishes. I have no idea what I've done, and if a fresh install won't work, what will?

Any and all help appreciated.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:02 PM

New problem: I was able to get Pro-tools to stop crashing by allotting memory for the program back to default. But I still can't get Pro-tools to talk with my midi-keyboard.

Furthermore, I just tried to launch LOGIC which I also have installed on the same Mac. As soon as I touch a key on my midi-keyboard, Logic crashes which it never did before.

So I think somehow my OMS has gotten screwed up. I did install a later version of OMS that came with Pro-tools FREE. I suspect I have to re-configure something, or delete the old OMS, or I don't know...really lost at this point.

I need some tips on how to fix my OMS settings. [note: in OMS manager it says I have (2) listings for the same Roland midi-keyboard, but in fact I have only one. Is this indicative of some conflict or error maybe?]

THANK YOU

Old 03-03-2004, 04:07 PM

All I wanted to do was try Pro-tools coz I thought I might want to buy the full version. I download and install Pro-tools FREE as per all my notes above. Now my entire Mac machine is completely screwed up.

I called Pro-tools tech support, and they won't talk to me or anyone about Pro-tools FREE.

I wonder how many thousands of other potential customers like myself have been lost because of similar problems...and Pro-tools tech support won't help. Amazing. Someone in management
should re-consider this policy if you ask me.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:49 PM

I think the first problem I have to solve is having to do with OMS. As mentioned above, I had an earlier version of OMS [2.3.7] on my Mac. Then I installed the later version [2.3.8] that comes with PT_FREE. I don't know anything about OMS, ok, except that I need it for recording.

Anyway, I think I now have two OMS setups or something, and that is causing a conflict or whatever, that's making my recording programs crash as soon as I hit a key on my midi-keyboard.

So can someone tell me about this issue, and what I need to do. I'd like to uninstall the later verion of OMS that I installed today, just to get things back to the way they were. On a PC, I'd just go to INSTALL/UNINSTALL PROGRAMS, but on a Mac, I am lost.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2004, 07:57 PM

You have quite a situation on your hands.

Whenever I install something new in OS9 I always label my current extensions, control panels, and preferences so I can be sure what was installed. I also keep a backup copy of my system so if things get FUBAR I can just return to square 1.

Unfortunately that doesn't do you any good at this point. Since I don't do the MIDI thing I don't know how much help I can be either.

Did you make a lean extension set for PTF?

If you remember exactly when you did what you can use Sherlock to find the files that were created/modified at that time. Try to find everything related to PTF/DAE/OMS, trash it all, and restart. I know from being on this board that OMS can cause problems (seen many threads with that in the title). Maybe some searching in the DUC will turn up some answers?

Sorry I can't help you out more, but I just do audio. I also have 2 sets of analog ins/outs on my 8600 so I don't do the USB thing either. I tried a Edirol UA-3 once, but it had issues with random bursts of 0dbfs white noise. Probably an incompatability with my USB PCI card.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:26 PM

Sounds like you had everything working in your first post. When you record midi, you don't hear anything unless you've got it set up to trigger a sound of some sort.

I never got a synth plug-in to work without an annoying amount of latency (delay) in Pro Tools FREE. The delay is there both when you are playing and also when you are listening back.