Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 AM

Default Clip Gain and volume autiomation

Is there a way to use the clip gain feature and then go to the volum od the track so you can make the volume go up or down. I have a drum track and use clip gain toget more level, then in a place i need it to really come down so I took the voule level of the track and pulled it down in the section but it still plays even all the way down??
Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Clip Gain and volume autiomation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzerboy View Post
Is there a way to use the clip gain feature and then go to the volume on the track so you can make the volume go up or down. I have a drum track and use clip gain to get more level, then in a place i need it to really come down so I took the volume level of the track and pulled it down in the section but it still plays even all the way down??
I suspect that either its not actually all the way down, or maybe you have something sent with a send, bleed on some other track(s) or maybe a hidden track?(all of which have gotten me at some point). When the fader is all the way to the bottom, you should not hear anything(wish I could look over your shoulder on this one). In any case, why use Clip Gain to make something louder if you then need to turn it down?(I may not be clear on your work flow here). I use CG to level out a performance before it hits a compressor(if I even need a compressor), or maybe to put parts into a "ballpark" mix before I fine-tune the volume/automation. Clip Gain, for me, really replaces the AudioSuite GAIN plugin and makes that process go way faster, but mixing is still mixing, and volume automation gets plenty of use here

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 AM

why use clip gain if i am going to turn it down you ask. because some of the track is not going to be used. Clip gain compared to gain in audio suite is nicer to work with. Ther was no bleed as the track was solo. Not sure i think when clip gain is engaged it turns off,, auto read.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzerboy View Post
why use clip gain if i am going to turn it down you ask. because some of the track is not going to be used. Clip gain compared to gain in audio suite is nicer to work with. Ther was no bleed as the track was solo. Not sure i think when clip gain is engaged it turns off,, auto read.
Hmmm, Clip Gain is handy as all getout, but it should not affect automation at all. I'll have to check that out sometime this week(buried under work for the moment). If i have part of a track that won't be used, I usually just highlight and delete what I don't want, or automate MUTE for that section.

Any other Motu users out there?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave