Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2002, 05:26 PM

Default Digi-Approved G4 Conundrum*

OK, I'm upgrading to HD. Therefore I need a new G4. Alas, as of today Digi has only approved G4's up to - but NOT including - the latest batch of "Quicksilver" boxes (867, 933, Dual 1GHz).

What to do? Hope to find a new "original 867," or ignore the posted signs and ("Damn the torpedoes!") get a new 933?

This all strikes me as being very "Kafkian."

Incidentally, I don't want to buy a used G4, also because I want to take advantage of the current Apple rebate program, which expires along with the month of March .

I suppose the question could also be phrased as... "Is anybody out there succesfully using a G4 / 933 with ProTools HD?" If so, I'd really love to hear about it.

Last but not least, I apologize if this has been covered 23 times already (I scanned the list of past topics to no avail). Thanks for the feedback.

* BTW, what's the proper way to mic a Conundrum?

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 03-14-2002, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Digi-Approved G4 Conundrum*

I don't have an HD system but I'm using the now old Mix + with a brand new 800 Quick silver/768 Mb/2 40 gb ATA hardrives(replaced my Beige G3/266),digi SCSI card,3 cheetas9,9,18 gb.Total plug and play!But my back is killing me!ProTools seems quicker but again I was using the first old G3! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2002, 07:08 PM

Andre,

Hey man, how is everything going???? Long time no talk!!! Anyway, you're fine with the new computers (of course, you should know where to get them... hehe). We've been configuring more ProTools systems than ever with the drop in price of the MIX systems and those wanting to get into HD. The new machines work fine, providing you follow all of the guidelines and everything is setup fine.
Old 03-14-2002, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Andre,
If you can wait just a few more days, it looks like we will have all of the 2002 G4 qualification details next week. The new machines are great, but you may want to wait for all of the details and any possible exceptions at this point, since it's so close.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:14 PM

I'm using a dual gig G4, with no problems on my HD system.

5 Process Cards
5 192s

I'm interested to see what Digi comes up with.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:05 PM

Thank you all for the quick responses - I'll cool my jets 'til next weeek.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 03-15-2002, 03:28 AM

"I'm using a dual gig G4, with no problems on my HD system.

5 Process Cards
5 192s

I'm interested to see what Digi comes up with."

Are you serious?
You´re my idol.

And what about those famous DAE errors 6042's. They sometimes appear and sometimes don't when multiprocessing is on. I supose that you still doesn't have this problem.

My following question is for Digidesign: i'is it expected to suppoprt the multiprocessing?
Old 03-15-2002, 06:45 AM

I turned off the multiprocessing. I just pretend it's a dual 800 in terms of the compat docs, etc.
Old 03-19-2002, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Compatibility information on the 2002 G4 models is now available.
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/quicksilver.html
and the rest of the compatibility pages by product.

Not a many differences from previous Quicksilver G4 models, as expected. One notable addition is that there are now 4 dual monitor AGP cards supported in dual monitor/extended desktop mode, including both cards that ship standard with the 2002 G4 models.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:34 AM

So far so good, just got new G4 933...and Pro Tools HD 1 Core Card and one Process Card, with Sync Box and 192. So far no probs...still setting up and testing. The only problem so far, is waiting on Digi to deliver iloc smart card to unlock some plugs. Also waiting on Vga adapter for second monitor. Also waiting on USB to Serial for Machine Control. Issues Issues Issues. Waves has shipped my Platnum Bundle...hmmm...where oh where can it be??? And as for TC Tools and MasterX (that I have on order)....WHO KNOWS!! Otherwise life is happy. Cheers to all and Good Luck!!!

Oh Ya, get yourself a USB Floppy...you will need it!! Seems some of the third party folks are not on board with Smart Cards...Suprise Suprise!!

Joe Tools