Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2006, 03:58 PM

Default no render to disk? :(

Anyone else find it frustrating that Pro Tools does not have a RENDER TO DISK feature? I understand there are quality issues when doing this, but even Sonic Foundry's ACID makes this option availible. It's a real drag having to listen to an entire 22 minute voice over as it bounces to disk when I have 2 processors that render it to the same result in under a minute. Clients arent too impressed, either. Does anyone know of an alternative to bouncing that might save some time?
Old 06-04-2006, 09:33 AM

Default Re: no render to disk? :(

Thanks, but usually by that time my system/bladder is alreay overloaded with caffeine...
consolidating only works if I dont need any plug-ins. Not that I'm losing sleep over this, but there are a tonne of other potential uses for a render to disk feature, i.e film scoring, where it would be extremely handy. Technology is supposed to make peoples lives easier; Pro Tools users are people too!
Old 06-04-2006, 01:39 PM

i tell my teacher that crap all the time.. i say for pr tools im only gonna do songs.. no dj mixtapes on that.. because id hate to sit and listen to 82 minutes of songs and then when i say man that track isnt level here.. go back sit another 82 minutes..

so until digidesisng uses some current ideads to process tracks.. use ACID for your DJ mixes or anything thats longer than 15 minutes..lol i do..

i love when people have to sit for 30mins to listen to a 30 min group of wave files..

when i can drag these tracks in acid and (some effects added) render my 30 min summed track in about 10 seconds.. i love it!!!!!!

but yeah i do use snail pro tools cause that means when they wanna listen to it again and again and again im getting payed for studio time.. so it works just waell

System's

Mac Pro 2,1 8-Core 3.0 GHZ
9GB Ram
10TB Space
OSX 10.6.7. PT 10 HD 10.2

Late 2013 15' Retina MacBook Pro
Fully Loaded Specs (No Other Choice..lol)
OSX 10.9 Running Pro Tools 10 HD 10.2 (Stable!!)
Old 06-04-2006, 01:59 PM

kinda weak. you can consolidate regions. but this won't apply plug-ins or volume.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:16 PM

You can save the plugins settings you've used on the inserts then apply them as AudioSuite. (getting them in the right order of the inserts) Then export regions to files after that.

If you're not using many plugins this works quite well. I do it frequently for VO work.

Jt
Old 06-06-2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:
i tell my teacher that crap all the time..
and that's why you're still just a student, ever heard of offline processing? export audio? dee-de-deee. learn how to spell "paid", toad.

go on, use ass-id.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:

and that's why you're still just a student. go on, use ass-id.
we're all students, we come here to learn, not to insult others.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:13 PM

Yes, I find it frustrating and so 1992.

I have no idea why Digi can't have this feature when just about every other audio app does.

Aci
Old 06-08-2006, 03:42 PM

Just so others who may not know, will, logic supports fast bounce to disk. The caveat is, if you have any dsp on your audio interface, lets say mixing ala motu, or even built in effects, ala metric halo, then it's a no go.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:43 PM

I have to agree-- there's no reason NOT to implement this as an option for those that want it.

I can understand not being able to use real-time plugins with it -- but for those who are creating many 20-40 minute tracks, bouncing in real-time is just painful. (We produce 2-4 hour radio shows)

We're actually still using some old 4.3.1 workstations with Powermix solely for the ability to bounce faster.

Since the hardware and software are no longer supported- we're sort of stuck. About to move to Logic, but all our producers LOVE ProTools, so we're trying to maintain the old hardware as long as possible. Plus Logic seems more complicated, geared for midi users and more difficult to use than Protools. Moving forward, we can't see buying any of the current ProTools setups. Probably going to have to go to Logic or Nuendo, unfortunately.

Hopefully they can figure out a way to add an option to 'render to disk' without compromising any other features.

-D