Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 12:11 PM

Default driver for SCSI CD-ROM?

Just installed the latest ATTO driver for Ultra SCSI setup in G4, but I still can't mount CDs in my SCSI Plextor CD Rom drive to rip sound effects. Everything else in the SCSI setup works, there is no SCSI ID conflict, and the SCSI CD-ROM mounts disks perfectly on my SCSI PC. I can't figure out whether the driver is s'posed to come from ATTO or from Plextor. What am I doing wrong?

T H A N K Y O U F O R Y O U R C O O L A D V I C E

-John
Old 10-22-2004, 12:19 PM

Default Re: driver for SCSI CD-ROM?

In order to write to a CD-R or CD-RW drive, you would need an application that supports that drive. Apple's software (like iTunes) supports all of the drives that Apple includes with their computers, but you would need to look at Apple's website to see if it supports the Plextor drive you have. Didn't Plextor provide you with some software that would allow you to burn disks? Toast with Jam probably supports the drive. A lot of the drive manufacturers provide an OEM version of Toast with their drives...
Old 10-22-2004, 02:22 PM

I would like to emphasize that this device is not a writer, just a CD-ROM -- read only. The important thing is it reads audio track INDEXES, not just audio tracks.

Plextor tech support sez:

"The writer runs off the SCSI card and the SCSI card drivers. If the drive works in your PC, you know it is good. Then we are looking at drivers. Updating the drivers should help, even if the old ones do work with your HP drive. Otherwise you could look at cabling, termination and where you have your SCSI ID set. OS9 does not need any additional software just to see the drive. You will need software to burn, but not to be seen in the ASP."

As for ATTO tech support, I just had a long phone call with them. They have a Plextor SCSI CD-ROM unit in their lab at this moment and they are having the same problem, which they are striving to solve. Maybe they can cook up a driver for me by Monday.

If that doesn't work, the other option is to seek an indexing FIREWIRE drive from another manufacturer. Can anyone recommend indexing drives, manufacturers, model numbers?

regards

-John
Old 10-22-2004, 07:31 PM

John

Cant help you with the CD part.
But Soundminer Ripper can rip commercialy made SFX CDs at index level. (From any CD drive)
If you have many SFX CDs, you might want to consider the whole package!!!

Soundminer

But you didnt mention the OS??? I understand OSX 10.2 and above natively support SCSI CD.

Disclaimer; I do not work for Soundminer, just a satisfied customer