Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2017, 10:01 AM

Default Changing computers: advice sought

I am about to decide on a Fujitsu R920 workstation (2xXeon E5-2670), which shall become my dedicated computer for ProTools 12.

Since it will come preconfigured with all necessary drivers, I will have to decide whether I want to have Windows 7 or Windows 10. I read and googled all possible information, but still am a bit hesitant of changing from an OS, that I have known inside out for years to one, where I do not know possible traps and incompatibilities (even after reading so much info on the web, which btw is mostly from around the time windows 10 was released and a few months onward )
On a hardware related side, I can say that I am using an RME UFX II and their drivers supposedly are fully compatible with windows 10.

Any advice or comment on the system and the OS?
Thanks!
Old 09-30-2017, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Changing computers: advice sought

I have a UFX on W10. The drivers are indeed rock solid, although I did have some issues with PT. See here for may solution(s).
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-30-2017, 10:36 AM

I would get windows 10 because it will get ongoing beta testing while windows 7 users will be on their own more and more as developers move on.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:56 AM

As a windows server admin (support over 2000 servers), I would tell you get off of Windows 7 period. Its really time and Windows 10 is very good. I get not wanting to go to say 8 but there is no support for it for over two years and patches end in 2020. A lot of the recently compromised systems were older ones. I deal constantly with users that dont want to upgrade, usually more from cost or not wanting to pay to update their apps. In your situation you have a chance to start at a current supported not to mention very good OS. Do windows 10 and scrub 7 from your thoughts. Its dead and dying.