Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 08-26-2002, 04:26 PM

Default LCRS/5.1 monitor switching...and Bass Management

For those of you who have worked with the C24 on both Pro Logic and 5.1 productions:

1) What do you find to be the best method to switch between the monitor routings required for decoded LtRt mixes and 5.1 mixes - especially for ext. sources? (patchbay seems to make the most sense...but...???)

2) In C24's LCRS monitoring mode, what are you doing to split the mono surround signal to two (2) surround speakers?

3) What are you doing for bass management?

I'm trying to avoid purchasing a Multimax (for now, at least) and would love to know the best ways to go about these issues.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:22 PM

Default Re: LCRS/5.1 monitor switching...and Bass Management

Bump.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:48 AM

If you need a patchbay,lemme know
Old 08-30-2002, 02:38 AM

R. Schlesinger ,
is your job building patchbays all over the world ? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
Ste
Old 08-30-2002, 07:29 AM

Already have the patchbay(s)...

So, does anyone here *actually* use the C24 for professional surround projects, be it film or music? If so - do you only use the C24 for monitoring, what bass management system do you have (I'm leaning toward Blue Sky's BMC) and do you have it all coming to patch?

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:35 PM

R SCHLESINGER

It seems you're having difficulty reading my posts... I already stated which bass managment unit I'm leaning toward. I fully understand the capabilities of the C24 as a monitoring unit and controller, but I'm trying to find anyone else in my situation who has *already* been there and has good working knowledge of bass management and switching/patching to/from stereo, LCRS, and 5.1 mixes as it pertains to the output of the C24's monitoring section...so, unless that's you, please stop hocking the patchbay wiring services you are "known for."
Old 08-31-2002, 12:18 AM

Ste 72,

Yes, I am known for my wiring, among other things.Yes, my wiring has gone halfway over the world.

A patchbay is the easiest way to route signal throughout a recording studio. It is better to use a patchbay, then to Y off cables.

-----------------------------------------------

Chris,

The C-24 is used for monitoring and as a control surface for mixing,(not just stereo but also for surround) and there are a few who use it for surround.
For bass management, what are you currently using or plan to use? You should remember to check your mixes with the bass management turnded off at times.

-----------
RADAR
Old 09-01-2002, 03:12 PM

look, u should have a patchbay w/ any layout u have.
in the case if y-ing off a signal from a d-sub to a few different places...this is just idiotic.
to y-off surround speakers from 5.1 to 7.1 this is not 2 bright either. also, to use a patchbay for switching between listening formats is the incorrect way to go about things. if you have a low budget, then u have no other choice and it will work.(remember to be very careful if u are patching directley into an amp)
if u are interested in bass management, pick 3 or 4 units and use your ears. there r several factors including budget, speakers, and the rest of your layout, and if u do not give more information,it is difficult 2 give an informative answer.
if u r worried about switching from stereo to 5.1, it is already built in to the c24.
w/ the subject matter of switching from lcrs to 5.1: u can use a bass management system; or have a seperate set of monitors and use a speaker switcher, because all the low end information is being sent to the monitors anyway.(it is only due to the subwoofer that u cut the low end off)
if u go the route of a speaker switcher, you can get away with the same monitors, but u have to use different crossovers.

w/ the subject matter of "hocking" bays or my experience, i've wired (either myself or helped an associate) close to a dozen rooms in the past year. so if you really want help, give more information.

--------
RADAR