Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 AM

Default Mac mini?

I am looking for the cheapest & yet best option for upgrading my pro tools computer..

I have an apple cinema display & keyboard / mouse so i was thinking a MAC MINI might be the best option?
I intend to run PT10 (le) & OS lion, using an Aurora lynx 16 converter (via firewire)..

Can anyone recommend if the mini's are a good option & if so which processor speed & what amount of ram etc etc i might need.. ( i do not use plugins or VSTs frequently)..

The other option is an Imac which are a bit more expensive..

thanks
Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Mac mini?

Any of the current Mac Mini's will be great. The Quad core server version is by far the best, because of processing power, and because it can be fitted with a second internal hard drive (great for your audio). People have had great results with this, but even the cheapest $599 one will still be great, and more powerful than a top line Imac from a few years ago.

As for your cinema display, you will need some kind of adapter, as the Mac Mini's have both Thunderbolt and HDMI ports for displays (not sure which one can be adapted better).

However, keep in mind that the Mac Mini's are just about a year old and are due to be updated within a month or two at the longest, so hold off if you can.

Also, you mentioned the Lynx, which is a great unit, but you should take a look at the Universal Audio Apollo, which is in the same price range. Besides all the features on it (including good sound), pretty soon you will have the option of hooking it up by Thunderbolt (right now it uses firewire). You may find this to be a benefit.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:25 AM

Thanks for that info, I am in Australia so prices are a tad higher.. The quad core mini looks good & costs $1100.. the Quad core 21.5 imac costs $1399 so maybe thats a better deal as u get a monitor & new mouse/keyboard included...

But yeh best to wait a couple of months & see what happens..

As for the UA Apollo i saw that it was released a few weeks after i bought my Aurora 16... bummer..
How much is it for 16 channels in the Apollo?

Oh also I have a Glyph firewire drive.. My plan is to daisy chain from the mac mini or imac to the glyphs 800 port, then out of the glyphs 400 port to the aurora's 400 port.. Sounds right hey since i have no thunderbolt option & apple gives you 4 usbs but only one firewire port....
Old 05-05-2012, 08:02 AM

Here's an online dealer in Australia that has the Apollo. There are two models. They have the same I/O, the difference is one has a UAD Duo card built in, and the other has a UAD Quad card built in (available in August):

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/recor...nufacturer=160

As for the firewire chaining, this seems to be a little more difficult with recent Macs than it used to be.

This is one reason you may want to get the Quad core Mac Mini, because you can have a second internal hard drive for your audio, and then just have the Lynx on firewire.

Also, that Mac Mini is more powerful than the lowest cost Imac you mentioned.

On the other hand, in either case, if your Glyph drive has an Esata port, then you can get this product, which will convert Esata to Thunderbolt, which will keep your Glyph drive on a separate buss, again leaving the Lynx by itself connected to firewire:

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10574

You can probably find these in Austrlia as well.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:23 PM

Thanks for all the great info..
Re: the daisy chaining i dont see why its any more difficult now than it used to be.. They always only had one firewire port (except the mac pro's) So nothings changed there.. & since i am only daisy chaining thru the glyph & then to the aurora it should be pretty stable.. Though I admit the Lacie Hub option is nicer (the glyph has Esata) as it allows both units direct access to the mac..

Also I amagine with an imac you can remove the superdrive & replace with a 2nd drive so that would allow for the same versatility as the mac mini quad core..

The main thing for me is that pretty much any new mac is gonna do the trick, I dont run plugins or VSTs so it doesnt have to be a hotted up mac... Just one that will run at most 16 tracks recording at once..

Again thanks for all that cool info.