Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 06-11-2010, 08:11 AM

Default Guitar Recording question

Hi Everyone,

I recently recorded some guitar tracks using a A splitter box. 1 Track with a pod and a second on a mic'd up amp. The results of blending these two sources is great and I was careful with making sure my input levels didnt clip while recording. My question is this: During muting parts the signal is boosted and seems to almost break, get almost unnaturally loud. This doesnt happen on the Pod track because i guess line 6 has the perfect presets with compression and such. On the other hand I'm no pro and my Amp Track seems to be having this problem. I've applied compression and not had great results but thats probably because im not finding the best settings. Has anyone else experineced this? Any tips woild be appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Guitar Recording question

What's a "muting part"?

If I'm following correctly, it sounds like your levels are possibly a bit hot, and the pod is dealing with those for you while the mic'd channel is something you'll need to fix yourself. And evidently there is a compressor somewhere (master bus?) that is bringing up the (relative) loudness during softer passages.

Any chance you could do a screen capture of the mix window?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Hi and thanks for replying...by muting parts im talking about palm muting on a punk style guitar track. Ive always noticed that when you mute the guitar the signal shoots way up at the moment you mute it. When recording the track I played a muted noted and sustained it to get my levels just below clipping on protools. I didnt use any compressor when I tracked I just used one as an insert after i recorded it. Maybe your right about the track just being too hot, even though it didnt clip on the fader in PT it may have been a bit hot on the preamp i have in the chain between the mic and my digi001. Any ideas short of re-recording? It doesnt sound bad, just kind of annoying to me, maybe im over analyzing it.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgnyhc1 View Post
Hi and thanks for replying...by muting parts im talking about palm muting on a punk style guitar track. Ive always noticed that when you mute the guitar the signal shoots way up at the moment you mute it. When recording the track I played a muted noted and sustained it to get my levels just below clipping on protools. I didnt use any compressor when I tracked I just used one as an insert after i recorded it. Maybe your right about the track just being too hot, even though it didnt clip on the fader in PT it may have been a bit hot on the preamp i have in the chain between the mic and my digi001. Any ideas short of re-recording? It doesnt sound bad, just kind of annoying to me, maybe im over analyzing it.
I have a POD Xt Live, a Marshall JCM 900 Half Stack and a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb. Each having it's own special attention. The Xt Live presets seem to be smoother for recording. When micing my boogie, I have to roll off all the lower frequencies (below like 125Hz let's say). Palm muting on a bassy amp will cause an overload of low end frequencies / harmonics and be really hard to clear up. I would try putting an eq in the FX loop and rool off all the lower frequencies you can deal with, and still have the sound your after. This will help tighten up your Palm mutes. On my JCM 900, I have less sub frequencies but it seems to have a much tighter low end to start with.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:22 PM

Basic digital recording 101; don't feel the need to record as hot as you can, short of clipping. Instead, record at 24 bit(read up on dithering for making 16 bit mixes for audio CD). The extra headroom will allow you to record, just into the yellow and leave yourself some safety against clips. I suspect the reason that palm muting creates a hot signal is because it makes the sound very percussive(which adds serious peaks).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-12-2010, 04:52 AM

Thanks for all the helpful tips guys!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:19 PM

Could it be anything to do with the strings hitting the pickups on the guitar?
Old 06-13-2010, 02:12 PM

Try pulling your cabinet away from the wall, especially if it's near a corner. Try different places in the room. All rooms emphasize certain low frequencies in some spots and de-emphasize them in others. At boundaries, low end builds up, and if your amp is there, it can get crazy overloaded with palm mutes.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 06-13-2010, 03:15 PM

Does it do it if you remove the compressor from the track ? Sounds like an expander ?