How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 09-29-2020, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Room Correction Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
What about using the Signal Generator in PT10 & the Graphic EQ on the PreSonus 16.4.2 Interface Mixer? What about Room measuring Apps or Software & what reference Mic to use?

Thanks
Using the signal generator can work, but using some kind of spectrum display gives you much clearer info. If nothing else, sweeping a sine wave and listening can be quite revealing. As I said before, I would avoid graphic EQ's completely(most digital emulations also emulate the drawbacks too) Presonus and Behringer analyzer mics are actually quite adequate( I bought the Presonus for less than $50 on a special a few years ago(even though I already own the Audix measurement mic)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-29-2020, 08:58 PM

At our studio, we are still on Pro Tools HD10. Some of the newer room correction plugins are only 64 bit, and won't work with our system. We use instead a MiniDSP DDRC-88D running Dirac Live 3.0 for our room correction. No Pro Tools plugin needed. The MiniDSP comes with a measurement mic (with a calibration file). Together, they are a very powerful system that I would call a "game changer".

Last edited by Third Eye Studios; 09-30-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye Studios View Post
At our studio, we are still on Pro Tools HD10. Some of the newer room correction plugins are only 64 bit, and won't work with our system. We use instead a MiniDSP DDRC-88D running Dirac Live 3.0 for room our correction. No Pro Tools plugin needed. The MiniDSP comes with a measurement mic (with a calibration file). Together, they are a very powerful system that I would call a "game changer".
That looks like a great option, and they have smaller versions(less IO) that are less money.
Have a look at this one:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...p-balanced-2x4

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-30-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
That looks like a great option, and they have smaller versions(less IO) that are less money.
Have a look at this one:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...p-balanced-2x4
Totally!! It really is a great option! Sounds incredible. Mixes have been translating so much better. There's only a handful of the MiniDSP boxes that work with Dirac Live though. Here's a link to the page.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series

We went with the DDRC-88D (Digital) because we needed 4 inputs and 4 outputs (L+R+SubL+SubR) plus we wanted to use our own converters. Their DDRC-88A (Analog) would have been my second choice, but then we'd have to use their converters, which I've heard aren't that good.

Last edited by Third Eye Studios; 09-30-2020 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:18 PM

Has anyone tried the Onyx3 Spectrum Analyzer App for IPhone & IPad? What do you think?

https://onyx3.com/SpectrumAnalyzer/
Old 10-04-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Onyx3 Spectrum Analyzer App for IPhone & IPad? What do you think?

https://onyx3.com/SpectrumAnalyzer/
This isn’t particularly useful for measuring a room. You need an app/room corrector that generates swept impulse responses and measures frequency response over time.

Given the size of your room you’re going to have problems at the bass end and will simply not have enough room for really effective bass trapping. Auralex foam bass traps are not particularly effective. RealTraps are much better but you simply won’t have the space to install enough of them to fix the problems a room of your size will inevitably have. Small rooms with a similar width and length and probably height are a nightmare. A perfect storm of coincident room modes.

DSP correction is the way to go IMHO.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
This isn’t particularly useful for measuring a room. You need an app/room corrector that generates swept impulse responses and measures frequency response over time.

Given the size of your room you’re going to have problems at the bass end and will simply not have enough room for really effective bass trapping. Auralex foam bass traps are not particularly effective. RealTraps are much better but you simply won’t have the space to install enough of them to fix the problems a room of your size will inevitably have. Small rooms with a similar width and length and probably height are a nightmare. A perfect storm of coincident room modes.

DSP correction is the way to go IMHO.
Would you elaborate please? Thanks
Old 10-04-2020, 11:30 PM

He menas that unless your walls are made of wood or thin paper, there is this thing called "room mode" and as a physical fact can only be treated with bass traps
Old 10-04-2020, 11:37 PM

Default Re: Room Correction Plugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
He menas that unless your walls are made of wood or thin paper, there is this thing called "room mode" and as a physical fact can only be treated with bass traps
No I’m saying in a room this small it will be impractical to get enough bass trapping in there to really fix the problem. They help but won’t go far enough, even with really effective traps which doesn’t include foam ones!

As a consequence, DSP room correction is the way to go, either with the hardware solutions mentioned above or the Trinnov system, or plug-ins like Sonarworks or the IK one.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Would you elaborate please? Thanks
If you put the dimensions of your room into a room mode calculator and assuming your height is the average 9 foot then you end up with near coincident room modes. In other words standing waves or resonant frequencies that are very close together.

https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc?l...t=true&r60=0.6

In your case it’s really nasty at 125 and 129Hz. There are lower room modes at 41,52,and 63Hz which are too low for most off the shelf bass traps to suck up.

I have a similar sized room in terms of width and height and in my case, I get a spike of nearly 30dB at 126Hz at the listening position untreated and a major lump around 59Hz!!