Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2017, 09:26 AM

Default PT 11 installation glitch

I am in the process of upgrading my studio computer system.
I have installed PT12, and it seems to be up and running.
However, because My license for PT11 is on a different iLok than PT12, I want to also install PT11 on the studio computer so production is not stopped there while I’m editing, writing MIDI parts etc. on my home computer via PT 12.
In attempting to install from the PT11.3 download, I repeatedly get error 2753:” DigiptiserviceG4 is not marked for installation.” Installation is then stopped with no further action and no files have been transferred, uncompressed or installed.
I’m doing this with Windows 10. Since PT11 hadn’t been officially cleared for Win 10, is the problem? Or is it conflicting with the existing installation of PT12?
Is there a way past this?
Old 12-11-2017, 04:52 PM

Default Re: PT 11 installation glitch

You cannot have 11 and 12 installed together on a PC. You should have no problem opening a PT 11 session in PT 12, so why not have 11 at home and 12 in the studio.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 12-13-2017, 01:17 PM

You may have noticed that I indicated I have two licenses, one for 11, one for 12. We have been using PT 11 for some time at the studio quite happily. I have two licenses so that sessions- mixing, editing, tracking, etc.- can continue at the studio uninterrupted while I edit or write MIDI parts at home. The differences arose when I bought PT 12 after 11 was no longer sold. I have no interest in buying a 3rd license at present. I have been quite aware that there is a high degree of interchangeability, though not flawless, between types of sessions.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyrouse View Post
You may have noticed that I indicated I have two licenses, one for 11, one for 12. We have been using PT 11 for some time at the studio quite happily. I have two licenses so that sessions- mixing, editing, tracking, etc.- can continue at the studio uninterrupted while I edit or write MIDI parts at home. The differences arose when I bought PT 12 after 11 was no longer sold. I have no interest in buying a 3rd license at present. I have been quite aware that there is a high degree of interchangeability, though not flawless, between types of sessions.
It's not a matter of having two iLok license assets but of having both PT versions on the same computer and the same partition. I know there are ways to get around this on a Mac but not Windows that I know of.

QAPLA!
Old 12-14-2017, 08:46 AM

Is it possible to copy the PT11 program files from the relevant drive of the old computer via flash drive to a comparable drive on the new computer?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:51 AM

As expected, installation of 12 overwrote and replaced 11 on my home computer. Is it possible to do the reverse on that computer? That would be something of a solution, though I’d hate to try it and glitch everything up if it doesn’t work. Making that switch would mean moving other (Hollywood strings, etc.) iLok licenses around, also a source of anxiety.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Is it possible to copy the PT11 program files from the relevant drive of the old computer via flash drive to a comparable drive on the new computer?
You could but it's better to do a real install instead. Putting programs on a computer is not a simple matter of copying old files over.
Quote:
As expected, installation of 12 overwrote and replaced 11 on my home computer. Is it possible to do the reverse on that computer? That would be something of a solution, though I’d hate to try it and glitch everything up if it doesn’t work. Making that switch would mean moving other (Hollywood strings, etc.) iLok licenses around, also a source of anxiety.
Are you saying you want to go back to PT11 on the computer you put PT12 on? It might be worth a try but I wouldn't do it to a production machine especially if you don't have a working clone of your system. You ALWAYS want to have a clone of a computer system before you go mucking about with it. Hard drives are cheap these days and Carbon Copy Cloner does a bang-up job of cloning back and forth (if you're on a Mac). Don't know about cloning s/w on Windows.

No matter what you're trying to do you STILL can't have both PT11 and PT12 on the same computer. And putting a program on a non-system drive and expecting it to work from there isn't workable either.

Sidebar to this:
I'm on a Mac and I do have two installs of Digital Performer on my system drive and the same partition. What I did was to rename one version to DP9.02 and when I installed the latest revision of DP it did not overwrite the previous version. I then renamed the new version to DP9.51r2 so if I get a newer revision of DP I can install it and keep my old versions intact and usable. I don't know if something like this can be done on Windows or with PT whether on Mac or Windows.

QAPLA!
Old 12-15-2017, 06:01 PM

No, I am wondering about using PT12 on the studio computer, but removing it from my home computer and installing PT11 on that one. The purpose is to have the two licenses and iLoks that I own in use to 1) avoid transporting iLoks back and forth with the attendant risk of loss and 2) allow for sessions to continue at the studio while editing at home. PT11 by and large meets most if not all our needs and I wouldn't feel inconvenienced using it for the purposes I mentioned at home.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:14 AM

Quote:
No, I am wondering about using PT12 on the studio computer, but removing it from my home computer and installing PT11 on that one. The purpose is to have the two licenses and iLoks that I own in use to 1) avoid transporting iLoks back and forth with the attendant risk of loss and 2) allow for sessions to continue at the studio while editing at home. PT11 by and large meets most if not all our needs and I wouldn't feel inconvenienced using it for the purposes I mentioned at home.
There is an easy way to go about getting back to PT11 on the machine that you changed to PT12 and it goes back to what I've written a couple of times: do you have a working clone of your system BEFORE you changed to PT12? If so then use that clone to restore your system. Second easiest - uninstall PT12 and reinstall PT11.

Besides having iLok ZDT insurance the cheapest insurance you can have for a working system is to have a clone so that when things go sideways you can go back to when things worked as you wanted them to. I make weekly clones of my system as well as before adding or changing any programs (like program updates).

QAPLA!