Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2003, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Mac G4 versus G5 versus Windows XP

Welcome fellow newbie!

Since I posted this, I did a lot of research so maybe I can break it down for you.

PC's have better performance than Macs! (except maybe the G5, the jury's still out)
PC's have WAY more bang for the buck.
You can upgrade your CPU and motherboard if necessary and give you a faster system without selling the computer and starting over.
The majority of LE buyers now, are using the PC platform.

Macs are easier to setup.
Macs have more plug-ins available.
Majority of the studios use Macs, however most of the studios now have both platforms, even if only to download files to their system. Also, most big studios are running PT HD systems, not LE.

I choose the PC based system, I'm using Allen's recommendations for the processor and motherboard(check out "Best System for PTLE for under $1000.00" under Pro tools LE for windows catagory), but changed a couple of things. My system will end up running about $1500.00 but I'm getting a 80 GB HD + (2) SATA 120MB HD's, Dvd Writer, CDRW, 128MB video card, 550 Watt P/S etc.........Try pricing a G5 with thoses kind of components and performance, maybe $4000.00?

I'm already familiar with the PC platform, and I figure using a proven PTLE system, should make setting up the computer easy. As far the plug-ins go, the more people who use the PC platform, the more plug-ins will become available. As someone in this thread said earlier, there are a lot of plug-ins available for the PC. More than enough to get the job done. Probably more than you want to spend the money on! There are plenty to keep me busy for a while. It just didn't make sense TO ME, to spend a extra $3500.00 for less performance, less options for upgrading, and going to a new platform, on the possibility that I might want a particuliar plug-in.

Just my opinion, but this is what works for me. I'm waiting for my parts to arrive now. Oh yeah, I decided to build it myself. There's a article on this site for that too! I'll post my results on the "best system...." thread after it's completed. I hope this helped.

Good Luck.....................Mike
Old 09-08-2003, 05:47 AM

Thanks Mike! I probably will go the WinXP route when I'm ready to make a move (hey the longer I wait, the more bang for the buck in this game, right?!) You know it really does baffle me that people are willing to spend 2 to 3 times as much on MACS just to achieve the same level of performance that you can get from a PC. Why do people do this?!?!?! MAC prices are through the ROOF! (I'm not a "PC guy" or a "MAC guy" and I don't take sides, I couldn't care less - I just want the best possible value) I guess my only last concern is this: If I track everything myself then take my files to a really nice high end studio for mixing and mastering, will there be a problem if they are MAC based and I did my tracks with a PC?
Old 09-08-2003, 08:45 AM

I guess you could say I was a "PC guy" because I used PC's for other applications. But, I was about to buy a G4 for PT before I did my homework. I was also into the "most studios use Macs so it must be better" thinking.
Most high end studios will have both platforms (Mac and PC). It just makes sense with so many PTLE users coming to them for mastering. High end studios will be using the high end pro tools HD systems. From what I understand they dump your tracks to their system and then start doing their thing.

Mike