How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Avid

Default Re: Anybody using FibreJet or SNS SAN systems

Also, if you check 'Pause During Playback' in the Tasks window, it will generally get rid of most 9073 errors in 7.4.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Also, if you uncheck 'Pause During Playback' in the Tasks window, it will generally get rid of most 9073 errors in 7.4.
I think you mistyped... Should read: CHECK 'Pause During Playback.'
Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Another question on th use of SNS SAN and Pro tools.

Has anyone successfully been able to get 2 PT systems to share a single SAN volume. So that users can access common content and use it in their sessions without having to copy it into a separate volume?

Thanks,

Mike.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:
Also, if you uncheck 'Pause During Playback' in the Tasks window, it will generally get rid of most 9073 errors in 7.4.
I think you mistyped... Should read: CHECK 'Pause During Playback.'
Ah yes - good catch. That's what I meant and I've corrected the initial post.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:36 AM

In my experience, the combination of PT 7.4 running off of an SNS X-4 with two clients doing music production = S L U G G I S H performance. Especially when compared to PT 7.3. 7.3 is very impressive in combination with the SNS x-4. With PT 7.3 was able to play back 80 tracks of a heavily edited music with thousands of crossfades coming at high intervals and then simultaneously, record (punch in with quick punch on) 48 more tracks onto which I already had audio (read 96 streams in total; extra) and do that from two studios at the same time reading from the same raw audio and fade files!! That is a lot of disk I/Os and it was not a problem. This is also another advantage for 7.3 where the SNS x-4 would allow two rooms to access the exact same data at the same time on the same volume. The only catch was that the person with the Read only access, had to same a local session copy and any further items (audio and fades) to one of his local disks. 7.4 on several occasions, where there was one track with Elastic Audio on, would be disabled and would't be allowed to play. I big damper on work flow if you plan on using Elastic Audio and work from the same partitions.

7.4 doesn't even come close to 7.3 performance wise. Hello 9073!

From all the investigating I have done, Pro Tools is all about Disk I/Os per second. When streaming viideo, which is usually very few streams at a very high bandwidth, the disks have to seek way less. Now, with music production where everything is it's own file including fades and so forth, the disks are seeking in a frenzy to get to all the different files (read lots of disk I/Os) that it needs to get sent out. And since 7.4, the performance of this system becomes unusable in a professional multiroom music producion envirionment. If I were to record llike I would an analog tape with no crossfades and and lots of tracks, the system would perform a lot better, but that is just not realistic for 99% of what I deal with.

YMMV

Mike
Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 PM

Getting ready to jump back in the pool withe fibrejet and Protools and wondered if everybody is still seeing the 9073 still with SNS/FibreJet.

I'll start rev'ing the systems and testing soon and will post what I find.

-b
Old 10-28-2008, 10:41 AM

Default Using FibreJet

I've been using FibreJet with ProTools HD for several years now. It works pretty good; especially with large video files and transfers. Everyone once in a while you have to dump your digidesign database folders and preferences and start from scratch. Also, using iFreeMem as a RAM optimizer helps PT from crashing.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:04 PM

Looks like Digi addressed the 9073 errors in PT8 - http://duc.digidesign.com/showpost.p...60&postcount=6