How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 03:58 PM

Default Which Drum-plugin is best for R\'n\'B / Soul / Hip hop

Hi!

I've read some conversation about the differencies of Strike, EZdrummer, DFH Superior, BFD, Drumcore and Battery. It seems that they are all good plugins but also different in many ways.
My exact question is:

Which one of these is most suitable and versatile for making r'n'b, soul, hip hop king of music?

Which one of these has the best sounds for those genres? A many different usable snares and kicks for those genres?

Also, which has most usable and versatile library of ready-to-go grooves for those genres?

Getting the rhythm and sounds just right is so fundamental in those genres that I really would love to buy the best plugin.

Thanks for helping!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Which Drum-plugin is best for R\'n\'B / Soul / Hip hop

Lets take Strike for example:

Sound wise it has 5 drum kits. Are these good for RnB, Soul, Hip hop?

Nu Style Kit: Kick=Yamaha RC 9000 15" x 16"
Snares=Pearl Free Floating brass shell 14 x 3.5" and Ludwig Supersensitive Black Beauty

Heavy Kit: is this kit for heavy metal? if so, I dont think its for RnB

Vintage Kit (1960’s Gretsch): Kick 20" Gretsch, Snare 13" x 4" Premier piccolo birch shell
Head: Remo Ambassador coated

--> this kit looks good for RnB but your opinions are needed?

Jazz Kit (Yamaha Maple Custom): Kick=18", Snare=Ludwig Black Beauty 14" x 5" 1970’s

--> too jazzy? or good to go with RnB?

Fusion Kit (Yamaha Maple Custom): ?

So, if Strike owners could comment these kits and how Strike does with RnB, Soul, Hip hop I would be very thankful.
Strike has only 1500 midi-grooves. that's not that much. How many of these can be used as RnB/hip hop grooves?

Thanks for helping!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:41 AM

As an owner of Strike, EZdrummer, DFH Superior end stylus rmx.
I tend to constantly return to Stylus.

Lasse
Old 07-24-2007, 06:36 AM

HI,
Quote:
Which one of these is most suitable and versatile for making r'n'b, soul, hip hop king of music?
ther is no best plug-in for a special style. All plugs do their job fine in articulating drum sequences and all have great libraries with them.
What DOES matter is your workflow of your beat programming, which qualifies the right plug-in your YOU.
I am using Battery since 1.0 and never felt the need to use anything else (also I did ).
What really seperates Battery from the other plugs is, that you can use it as a tonal sampleplayer
as well. I use for just everything.
But then there are quite some people which are not satiesfied with it´s current performance,
since NI just let´s you wait for the next bugfix for long periods.

But I still have not found any replacement for it, as far as my workflow is concerned.

I guess you really have to work with the demos, to find the right one for you.

regs
Old 07-24-2007, 06:51 AM

Definitely Stylus RMX, the sounds are just 'ready' out of the box and it's an amazing creative tool.

So many of the sounds are perfect for the style you need, whilst the other plugins are pure acoustic drum instruments.

The other good option would be Battery, which is a more conventional sampler based around rhythm sequencing that has a nice modern, urban library. You can also load in regular sound files and do what youo want with them, but you miss out on the unique way that RMX inspires new ways of manipulating the sounds.

Peace

Sonny
Old 07-27-2007, 03:40 AM

Thanks! Good opinions.

I had totally forgotten Stylus! Couple of years ago I used the original Stylus to create a nice pop drum track. I agree that the program is good when you want to tweak the sound "synthesizer like".

I must say though, that the sounds of the original Stylus seemed a bit sissy... There wasnt big round warm kicks or impressive snares. I must admit that I didnt use Stylus that much so it could be that I just didnt find the right sounds..??
Stylus seemed more like nice tool to create extra loops than a tool to make some punchy main drums.

Has the Stylus RMX better, bigger, punchier sounds? Are there many usable midi-grooves to use in RnB / Soul?

Battery 3 seems like a nice one. Lots of sounds and kits. Some of the mp3-demos sounded good to me.

I still think I'm going to buy one of those "acoustic drum kit module" -type programs. Would be ideal to have one of those and then Battery and/or Stylus RMX also. Best of the both worlds.

EZdrummer seems limited but that new Claustrophobic extension might be just right for RnB / Soul.
I think I really need those good quality midi-grooves that come with the program. So, dfh Superior wouldnt be best solution for me.

I usually start with playing/recording a bass line or guitar chords and then go finding a nice drum groove to go along. So, I need to find that right drum groove fast so I can move on creating the melody of the song. Thats why I like those midi-grooves. After I have figured the melody I can come back to drums and fine tune and create the structure of the song. Then comes guitars and keys. And finally some more singing.
Thats my workflow.

Have anyone worked with that EZdrummer Claustrophobic yet?? It could be the thing for me. Plus Battery 3 / Stylus RMX.

Thanks so far and keep it coming!

What's your workflow?
Old 07-27-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
As an owner of Strike, EZdrummer, DFH Superior end stylus rmx.
I tend to constantly return to Stylus.

Lasse
Why do you return to Stylus? Better sounds? More versatile? Easier to modify sounds? Better/more mìdi-grooves for your type of music? By the way, what kind of music you create with drumplugs?

Are there any things you want to do with Strike, EZdrummer, Superior? Or are those just waste of money?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:46 AM

I dunno about the original, but Stylus RMX sounds simply awesome. Really brilliant sounds right out the box.

EZdrummer should be great for you - it's easy (duh) and sounds great, with grooves aplenty and some nice expansion options. The sounds are also less raw and in need of further processing - it's much more 'plug and play' than some of the other, more purist plugs (BFD, DFH etc. Less CPU hungry too.

These two together should cover all your needs. If you then need further sample manipulation Battery could then provide a future expansion option with a nice dedicated library, though Digi's Structure could also provide this functionality, without being specifically rhythm-based.

Sonny