Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 07:06 PM

Default REFERENCE MONITORS - PLEASE RECOMMEND

Hey guys,

Can you help me make a decision here?

I built a project studio into my spare bedroom. I need to get the highest quality small monitors I can find - I will probably buy used on Ebay (big Ebay shopper here, over 2000 positive feedbacks) so I am budgeting $6-800 - which will get me to the $800-$1200 list price area, better if I get lucky.

Anything with the limited 65-75hz low end, unless I use a subwoofer will make me over-mix the low end - I am mostly working on Victor Wooten/Michael Manring et al style bass feature pieces so I must be very low end conscious. BUT I would rather not run a subwoofer in this room, so I would prefer monitors with 40hz or thereabouts low end response.

I can get NS 10 monitors for that money and my ear has been hearing them for years and years, but I would rather have powered monitors and I would prefer a more complete low-end sound.

In that price range I am seeing:

Non-Rokit KRK's like the V series (are they really any better than the lousy Rokits? damn things hurt my ears, seriously - seriously uncontrollable pressure levels)

Tannoy monitors (I assume the "Reveal" is the consumer line and not much better than the KRK Rokit consumer line? The Reveals do not spec on the low end.)

The new powered Yamaha HS series - the 80 specs on the low end.

Mackie's, Etc. - many brands I know, but I am not up on the model numbers.

I trust JBL flat sound but "studio monitor" is a brand to them, so I am not really sure which models ACTUALLY ARE studio monitors these days. ??

So, guys, any strong recommendations here from experienced ears?

I am leaning on the HS80's or the NS10's with a sub.

Better Ideas?

Any experience with the HS40's or 80's? Anyone use the M-Audio EX66?

I am always hesitant to buy things like monitors sold at Guitar Center or Sam Ash because they are consumer line.

I can't go listen to them all! Your help would be appreciated.

Check it out, this is what is up for sale today, for example:
http://search.ebay.com/studio-monito...onesQQsbrsrtZd
Old 05-08-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: REFERENCE MONITORS - PLEASE RECOMMEND

Read this Casey Link

filo
Old 05-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Read this Casey Link
filo
Thanks for the link. I had read press about this a couple of weeks ago as well. I checked out PMC and they really have no track record in the recording studio business. Their speakers look really cool cosmetically, but I can guarantee you they will be more expensive than the most expensive M-Audio monitors. At least, this is/that was my take on it until I hear differently.

My ears hurt right now, to the point where I want to just go to a nice room with an SSL, some NS 10's, some Auratones and just sleep on the couch knowing that I can still listen to music without getting an ear concussion.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 PM

I just sold my HS80m`s and replaced them with these.

Nothing can touch them.

dog
Mac Pro 2.66 Quad
Adam A7
Waves Gold, VSeries
Pultec Bundle
URS, McDSP
Old 05-08-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:

I can get NS 10

You know that probably, but just in case: NS10 is the WORST choise if you plan to have only one pair of monitors. The only reason to have NS10 is "beacuse everybody has it". Get a nice pair of Genelec or even some JBL and THEN, if still on budget, those nasty NS10.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:28 PM

I got the Event Precision 8 powered monitors and love them. They have a little more power than most nearfield monitors but I don't run them at full volume since I'm trying to save my hearing for as long as possible. The extra power of these allow for more headroom if I need it and it also handles the bass well. The main thing I like about these monitors is that the tweeters are not harsh so they don't cause fatigue even after long periods. This seems to be a big issue for you. They are very accurate and translate well to the final mix in my opinion. They are a pretty good bang for the buck too. Don't forget to treat your room. The best and most expensive monitors in the world are a waste if the room is not treated properly.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I can get NS 10

You know that probably, but just in case: NS10 is the WORST choise if you plan to have only one pair of monitors. The only reason to have NS10 is "beacuse everybody has it". Get a nice pair of Genelec or even some JBL and THEN, if still on budget, those nasty NS10.
I'm very experienced producing on NS-10's so at least I know what I am getting but that's a REALLY good point - not having them around as your only monitor. I will have more than one pair of monitors in here in a while, but you're right - I should add NS-10's later. Not enough money here for the Genelec, unless I can find a pair for under a grand. Do they even make a lower cost model that isn't built for your home surround sound system?

Thanks for the wake-up call on the NS10 solo issue, I hadn't considered that.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I just sold my HS80m`s and replaced them with these.

Nothing can touch them.

dog
Yeah, the Adam - good stuff, I will put it on my Christmas list because with my budget I can only buy one!

So what did you like or didn't like about your HS80's????
Old 05-08-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I got the Event Precision 8 powered monitors and love them. They have a little more power than most nearfield monitors but I don't run them at full volume since I'm trying to save my hearing for as long as possible. The extra power of these allow for more headroom if I need it and it also handles the bass well. The main thing I like about these monitors is that the tweeters are not harsh so they don't cause fatigue even after long periods. This seems to be a big issue for you. They are very accurate and translate well to the final mix in my opinion. They are a pretty good bang for the buck too. Don't forget to treat your room. The best and most expensive monitors in the world are a waste if the room is not treated properly.
Hey OD - I brought a couple of pairs of EVENT's in here to A/B around but they were not Precision 8's. I just checked the specs on the 8's and they go to 35hz, so they spec out on the low end. The Event models I had in here, again I forget the model #'s, did not have good low end - they were all mids and highs - they were really really shallow. But, I know for sure they were not in the Precision 8's price range. They were much lower on the totem pole.

Thanks for putting that model on my list!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the Adam - good stuff, I will put it on my Christmas list because with my budget I can only buy one!

Not at all. The Adam A7 sells brand new for a grand ... for a pair. So if you can find a set of used ones for sale, you should be able to afford them.

That said, I have a pair on order, but I don't have them in my room to use yet, so I can't speak for how well they work. But their reputation is quite good.