Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2023, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Avid MTRX 2 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Sounds good to me. Looking at upgrading to the new MTRX2 after looking at my potential for expansion here and also crunching numbers with selling my MTRX1 that has a lot of extras that will go with it. SPQ, DANTE, MADI.
G
This is actually my concern, despite the additional cards coming with it (SPQ being the most pricey one but also the not-needed one, together with the Dante module, when compared to a MTRX II) , who will buy a discontinued / End Of Life product for a fair price? When I traded in my HD I/O’s for the MTRX (only 1,5 year ago, oops) the HD I/O’s at least were an actual product.

For someone in the market to buy a new MTRX today, the MTRX II is quite a sharp priced product with 128 channels SPQ and 256 channels of Dante integrated. For someone who already bought a MTRX with a Dante card (left alone if there’s also an SPQ card in it) it’s quite a pricey upgrade path to the MTRX II . Let’s see if AVID will probably come up with a trade in offer towards current MTRX owners.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:51 AM

Then I forgot the users with a current MTRX who use their AES chassis connections . That’s another 1899 (card) + 259 (breakout cable) to be added when ‘swapping’ MTRX1 for MTRX II
Old 04-21-2023, 07:58 AM

Example, assuming main reason to swap MTRX1 chassis for MTRX II chassis is the native Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, for a user that needs the AES .

AES card 1899, breakout cable 259, Thunderbolt 3 card 799. That alone is a total of $2957. Which is only some dollars away from the DAD Core256. And then we haven’t talked about the base price of the MTRX II chassis at $6999 yet.
Curious how many users will be actually swapping their chassis , and who will decide to save $6999 by adding a Core256 and taking for granted the about 12 samples added delay from the MTRX I/O to the Core256 when hooked up through MADI.
Old 04-21-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
This is actually my concern, despite the additional cards coming with it (SPQ being the most pricey one but also the not-needed one, together with the Dante module, when compared to a MTRX II) , who will buy a discontinued / End Of Life product for a fair price? When I traded in my HD I/O’s for the MTRX (only 1,5 year ago, oops) the HD I/O’s at least were an actual product.

For someone in the market to buy a new MTRX today, the MTRX II is quite a sharp priced product with 128 channels SPQ and 256 channels of Dante integrated. For someone who already bought a MTRX with a Dante card (left alone if there’s also an SPQ card in it) it’s quite a pricey upgrade path to the MTRX II . Let’s see if AVID will probably come up with a trade in offer towards current MTRX owners.
It's stilll a solid rig for someone. out there. Most people will be interested I feel. Even if I get like 1/2 of what I paid I'm good with that. I would rather do it now that a year from now when it depreciates more. Either way, I'm OK if it does not sell for a while as I am not hurting financially. I jsut wish the tech would support thunderbolt 3 card. I knew when I bought this that it would proably not be much longer before there was a new version. Got mine in Feb 2021 ordered. With a whole ATMOS room upgrade here with speakers (6) more and now two subs Focal 12 and a large new Genelec Sub, it's really important to have a way to run more efficiently that even before.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-21-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Then I forgot the users with a current MTRX who use their AES chassis connections . That’s another 1899 (card) + 259 (breakout cable) to be added when ‘swapping’ MTRX1 for MTRX II
I dont' really need the AES connection anymore, but a good point. Good ol'e Avid.. LOL. At least they are not that expensive if I understand your post here.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-22-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I dont' really need the AES connection anymore, but a good point. Good ol'e Avid.. LOL. At least they are not that expensive if I understand your post here.

G
yeah I'm quite tied to my AES outputs because of my Kii speakers and a Neve mastersbus processor coming back in on AES. Definitely not going to place my main monitors on an 1ms delay adding AVIO adapter since I do a lot of virtual instrument producing in the control room.

Let's see what the majority of current MTRX owners will do, good chance those will possibly be the biggest target market for the MTRX II compared to new adopters, but perhaps I'm wrong.
Old 04-22-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
yeah I'm quite tied to my AES outputs because of my Kii speakers and a Neve mastersbus processor coming back in on AES. Definitely not going to place my main monitors on an 1ms delay adding AVIO adapter since I do a lot of virtual instrument producing in the control room.

Let's see what the majority of current MTRX owners will do, good chance those will possibly be the biggest target market for the MTRX II compared to new adopters, but perhaps I'm wrong.
Copy that.. So isn't there a way for you to compensate for delay with the speakers in DADMAN? I do that will my room, but it's all tuned for ATMOS were the delays are very important for sure. The masterbus is another thing I guess. Kii speakers. I am out of the MTRX Analog out to my speakers here.

G
Old 04-22-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Copy that.. So isn't there a way for you to compensate for delay with the speakers in DADMAN? I do that will my room, but it's all tuned for ATMOS were the delays are very important for sure. The masterbus is another thing I guess. Kii speakers. I am out of the MTRX Analog out to my speakers here.

G
Delay compensation isn’t a time machine hehe
Old 04-22-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Delay compensation isn’t a time machine hehe
? Sorry, I guess I don't understand your comment, but was just trying to help Robert on his Q.. Not my deal.
G
Old 04-22-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
? Sorry, I guess I don't understand your comment, but was just trying to help Robert on his Q.. Not my deal.
G
Ha, sorry I didn’t mean to be rude! And maybe I misunderstood. What I meant was, if you’re recording virtual instruments (already subject to host buffer latency), every additional ms counts. So you probably don’t want the extra delay introduced by, say, an AVIO Dante to AES adapter.