Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: GIVE US DELAY COMPENSATION IN PT-LE!!!!!

Quote:
The simple point is...of course LE has to have it's limitations. Why is that so hard for you to understand? I have and use an LE system, but I understand it's shortcomings. Honestly, I have no problem with people when something breaks and they bash digi, but this is just unwarranted. YOU could have bought ANY system YOU wanted to. YOU didn't do the correct research. I want LE to have delay compensation as well but understand it won't for a while. When it does, I will buy it. When it does, what else will you have to complain about? I'm you'll find something. Jeez, I use a pair of Studer A800's, does that make me a stupid bastard as well?

Doc, good luck on the sale of your property!

Ian
I have said the same to people for years about LE. You should reasearch the purchase and understand that they might never add ADC. I still see people still complain about track count, when now you have the option to buy more then 32 tracks.
I mean I worked without ADC in Mix systems for years, some of the automation stuff missing in LE annoys me more then ADC. I used HD for years and guess what sometimes plugins LIE to ADC so you manually fix it.
I think it is cool to ask for something that you want. LE bashing is becoming a standard fun game for some.
If you cannot record a high quality product with LE it will be more you then LE. I have mixed plenty of records from people who had bad phase problems from mics alone which they did not hear. ADC will not fix this, ADC will not give you great ears, 10000 tracks will not give you a better song
Pro Tools without a pro, well its just tools.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
At that amount of money the competition offers more tracks open achitecture compatibility and ADC .We all like protools every one for his own reasons but if le users wants ADC do you thing that we have to pay 7000$ for an hd1 system? I dont think so.
Do you not understand? Why is this so hard to understand? Nobody is making you buy HD. Nobody. Nobody is taking your credit card and purchasing that for you. Is this...is this that hard to understand?
If Garage Band has ADC or whatever you want, then seriously, go use it. Go whine on their message board about problems you are having. If Cubase LE has something you want, go buy it. Please. Just realize what Pro Tools LE is. Really.

I have done several professional albums on LE. If I can figure out how to workaround those problems (ADC, System Interrupts) then certainly, you can too. I am by no means the sharpest tool in the shed.

Ian
Old 05-02-2007, 03:32 PM

See? Double post!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
Quote:

In the year 2000 I made a record. I asked the engineer if we could do it on a DAW (preferably PT). I was told that PT or any DAW would never match the sound of 2". Today, 2" is obsolete. It was only a matter of a year or two that HD became the industry standard. How long will it be before full native becomes the industry standard? I learned then to stay ahead of the times.

Nice story, and there's a lesson to be learnt, too. No, the point is not to "stay ahead of the times", not at all. The most important point is definetely this: when you need to do something, you do it with the tools you have when you need them.

In 2000 you used the tools that were available and most feasible in 2000. Maybe the situation is different seven years later, but you are not doing a 2000 record in 2007, do you?

If you need to make a record today, you use what you can use today. It's just that simple. There may be different tools in 2014, but if the record has to be done in 2007 who cares?

Today. That's the keyword

I have said many times in this thread that HD is good. And I will say it again. HD is good, possibly even great, BUT I still don't think it's bad to push the envelope of what a computer can do.
Look at this
The future is now. It is already here. Who is going to be first? My guess is that by the end of the year we will see things on a native platform that will be mindblowing.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 05-02-2007, 04:41 PM

Men what is so hard for you to understand? Do you thing that protools is the center of the world?I am in this busines for twenty years now and i used from soundcraft and mci desks to ssl and neve and from adat to studer 2" recorders Do you thing i am an amateur looking for toys? My main daw is NOT le is not even protools Iam Just a guy that deserves the right to ask more for the money he pays The sound you can get with any daw inclouding your 13000$ costing hd does not warth a sh.... comparing it with a sound of a 2" studer mashine or we all forget about that?Do you realy thing that digidesign steinberg and all the others are giving you what you realy need to make your work better an faster? or what will make them more profit with less cost for them not for you?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:

If Garage Band has ADC or whatever you want, then seriously, go use it. Go whine on their message board about problems you are having. If Cubase LE has something you want, go buy it. Please. Just realize what Pro Tools LE is. Really.

Yes! Someone else finally said it!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:

80 40 70

Ok, guys, sorry!
100% of my statistics is bllsht, you're absolutely right!

First of all my apoligize to everyone for my unpolite remarks. I didn't mean to address anyone here, on the DUC, as you are creme de la creme of PT users and I come here to learn, not to teach. I meant some people in the wild, who I meet everyday; some studios, where I cowork from time to time.

Last year I worked in a HD studio, where they (8 engineers) inserted Waves EQ and Compressor on every track whith stage material. BUT they only used Gain in those plugins to make up the level, so when I was to mix it I had three levels of volume automation: Volume, EQ Gain and Comp Gain (they never used Trim). Sometimes the original 2 tracks were spread among 12 tracks without any reason, thus summing at 24 heavy TDM plugins just to have the audio peaking at -0 dBfs

Last week I visited an inhouse studio of a TV station. This studio was set up for one puprose only: to produce trailers for the upcoming programmes - you need original audio from the film and a voice over (oh, maybe some music sometimes) - 5 tracks, be it 8. You can do it with Audacity. PT LE + DV Toolkit would be an overkill for that, but let it be, as PT is the Standard. What do they have in that studio? HD2 with Control|24.

I work on a weekly TV magazine originated in a HD studio in the UK. The track count sometimes reaches 50 thou most of the tracks have 1 or 2 events with different EQ or Comp settings. This could be done on 10 or 12 tracks with bypass automation.

And I am way off-topic, sorry
Old 05-03-2007, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I didn't mean to address anyone here, on the DUC, as you are creme de la creme of PT users and I come here to learn, not to teach. I meant some people in the wild, who I meet everyday; some studios, where I cowork from time to time.
"Creme de la creme"? I wouldn't go that far.

People like Charles Dye, Mike Shinoda, Ben Moody, Billy Howerdel, Trent Reznor, Alan Moulder, Don Gilmore or Ben Grosse are famous professional PT users and they don't come here apparently.

Or maybe they do... The thing is, I'd love to exchange thoughts with them and they don't seem to be around here. And they are closer to be what I would call a "creme de la creme".
Old 05-03-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I have said many times in this thread that HD is good. And I will say it again. HD is good, possibly even great, BUT I still don't think it's bad to push the envelope of what a computer can do.
Look at this
The future is now. It is already here. Who is going to be first? My guess is that by the end of the year we will see things on a native platform that will be mindblowing.
And just wait until the 16 core machines are going, which isn't too far away. Good times for us native users.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
And just wait until the 16 core machines are going, which isn't too far away. Good times for us native users.
Yeah, right. And how many plugins can you instantiate without latency? Native systems can never be latency-free. Mixdown horsepower has not been a problem for many years, but low latency still is a huge issue and it doesn't seem to be going away.

Of course, even HD has latency due to AD and DA conversion. But besides that, TDM systems handle the latency-free plugin load without a single hiccup.

I'd love to make up a very biased statistic See, from my perspective, I'm interested in how many reverb plugs can one instantiate when the latency must be less than 0.1 milliseconds? Native systems cannot do that, but HD can do 10 ReVibes per card at 96kHz.

But yes, once the latency issues are gone, then the only obstacle will be sufficient i/o that PTLE does not have. Since its introduction PTLE has always topped at 18 simultaneous inputs and that's not enough. Even though PTLE could perform at very low latencies *and* had the delay compensation feature, the hardware limit is too much for pro work.