Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 03:19 AM

Default delay compensation

Does anybody know if digidesign will add auto delay compensation to pt le systems?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:00 AM

Default Re: delay compensation

Well the answer would have to be 'no!' Unless some of us DUCers actually work for digidesign, in which case they would say "i'm not saying". What a stupid question. What are you doing inserting those massive sample-delay-causing mastering plugs on individual channels anyway?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 AM

have you ever try to use two or more uad plugins on diferent tracks and then try to compensate them using the time adjuster ? (its not the easyest and fastest way to work in a 48 track project)Almost all other daws has auto delay compensation Maybe digidesign things that ptle is for second class users
Old 04-09-2007, 09:01 AM

No I haven't. I'm quite happy with the digirack plugins actually. But your question is still stupid. Do you really think anyone here knows digidesign's plans re ADC?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Well the answer would have to be 'no!' Unless some of us DUCers actually work for digidesign, in which case they would say "i'm not saying". What a stupid question. What are you doing inserting those massive sample-delay-causing mastering plugs on individual channels anyway?

GeoffLee,
you must be having a bad day. this is rude reply number 2 i have read from you today. you dont have to answer you know. relax, dont take it personally..
Old 04-09-2007, 10:57 AM

No, pretty good day actually, but some things just get my goat. Anyway, point taken!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:17 PM

Maybe iam stupid and you are not .YOU ARE HAPPY WITH THE DIGI RACK PLUGINS
Old 04-09-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe iam stupid and you are not .YOU ARE HAPPY WITH THE DIGI RACK PLUGINS
You can actually do a lot with basic digi plugins. You can also add Sony, URS etc which do not have the external DSP delay. I mean the UAD are nice, although I have used real outboard before and it is not a real neve,1176 or LA2 just becuase of the GUI

Now the easiest way to get around delay if you have like 48 tracks, is duplicate playlist(name it) and nudge the track back. Mix systems do not have ADC and I and many others used and still use those.
Although if you want ADC in pro tools I think Digi still has a line in the sand.. HD ADC/5.1/Extra automation stuff. LE missing these.
You brought a LE system which you know has no ADC, maybe one day maybe not. If you want it now and cannot work without ADC, then at the moment buy HD or use another peice of software.
I do not know.. Maybe it should have ADC already although I keep seeing threads where people buy LE (which they know maybe will never have ADC or 5.1) then complain it doesn't and its stupid..Its like the 48 tracks limit, I recorded many things on a 16 track 2" although now all I hear is if I do not have unlimited tracks I cannot record. You just need to work around things or move on. If they stop selling LE systems because of things then maybe they will add them, although the local shops near me are selling lots of LE systems.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:39 AM

Hi Dave
Please dont get me wrong .I bought le for home use .I am using soundscape in my studio and pt was the closest thing in sound quality.I know that uad plugins are not the real thing because i have the real thing in the studio.I just thought that if le will have ADC that will make my life easier and just tried to retrieve some information from other users. As for the 48 trk limit this is not a problem i used to bounce alot back in the analog days and i know that more tracks does not make music sound better.
Thanks for the input
John
Old 04-10-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Hi Dave
Please dont get me wrong .I bought le for home use .I am using soundscape in my studio and pt was the closest thing in sound quality.I know that uad plugins are not the real thing because i have the real thing in the studio.I just thought that if le will have ADC that will make my life easier and just tried to retrieve some information from other users. As for the 48 trk limit this is not a problem i used to bounce alot back in the analog days and i know that more tracks does not make music sound better.
Thanks for the input
John
Thats cool John. I just see a lot of threads from people who buy LE then work out it does not work for them.
I used Mix, HD and LE. personally ADC,5.1 and less tracks does not worry me, its the dumbing down of automation that anoyed me the most. Although I worked around it, like a lot of consoles I worked on all had different head room problems etc etc. I do think some of the younger engineers now have a problem with working out work arounds.
From years of using hardware with mix, HD and LE.
First of find the real value of the delay at each sample rate. Then do duplicate playlist and nudge back the whole track and put a note how much. As I said not perfect although works. Or otherwise just put a time adjuster on the other tracks.. I did both depending on how many channles I used hardware on. For somethings the delay does not worry me.
I still check my delays with my ears, some plugins might say X samples although they are not, sometimes they go out when more then one plugin, or plugin and hardware etc. Even ADC in HD or anything is not 100% correct always, so trust those ears people