Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 AM

Default Using JBOD on thunderbolt drive for for separate Audio and Sample functions

Has anyone had any experience with using a dual thunderbolt raid compatible drive that can be configured in JBOD so that one drive can be used for the audio/session drive and the other the sample drive (for virtual instruments)?

eg: http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?id=10621

I am using a MacBook Pro 2Ghz i7 (SSD system drive), PT 10 LE.

Just want to know if it works as it should. Does the JBOD configuration actually separate the tasks well and thereby give me more grunt?

thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Using JBOD on thunderbolt drive for for separate Audio and Sample functions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
Has anyone had any experience with using a dual thunderbolt raid compatible drive that can be configured in JBOD so that one drive can be used for the audio/session drive and the other the sample drive (for virtual instruments)?

eg: http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?id=10621

I am using a MacBook Pro 2Ghz i7 (SSD system drive), PT 10 LE.

Just want to know if it works as it should. Does the JBOD configuration actually separate the tasks well and thereby give me more grunt?

thanks in advance.
I use this Lacie version in 4 terabyte: http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?id=10573
and used OSX Disk Utility to dump the RAID setup and have them show in my iMac in my sig file as two separate drives. Really easy. PT as I understand it doesn't play too well with software RAID. Something you may want to think about is 500 gig each drive going to be enough for you?

PT10LE - no such animal. Do you mean PT10 non-HD?

QAPLA!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Using JBOD on thunderbolt drive for for separate Audio and Sample functions

JBOD is not separating tasks. It's just making it so that it's 2 separate drives. It's no different than having 2 separate drives in 2 separate enclosures. It should work fine.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:04 PM

I Also use this Lacie version in 4 terabyte: mentioned above HD not the SSD.

Just Needed to re-format as it came as 2 drive raid.
Drive mounted and works fine as 2-2TB non-raided.

Mac MINI I7 TB with post-chained HP Monitor.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:12 PM

I do this with a Blackmagic Multidock. No issues.
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 AM

As others have said, if the enclosure supports JBOD, the drives will work as if they were in separate enclosures. JBoD stands for "just a bunch of disks", and that is exactly how they are formatted/handled. You can even take the drives out of the enclosure and put them in a different enclosure, they are not linked to each other in any way.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 AM

Just another reassurance. I use the LaCie 5Big as JBOD with no problems, each drive is 2TB and running concurrently. I keep samples and sound FX on one drive, projects on others. The only thing that you'll lose out on is speed. It will still run ultra fast, but in JBOD - the array is not pulling a set of data cut and spread across multiple disks. The biggest plus for RAID is that the speeds are intense when all disks are driving in one large data-force. The biggest downfall is if one fails, all your data is lost (because it creates one large hard drive) - unless the RAID is setup to backup.

Anyway, here's a link to the 5Big. Well worth it with the ability to swap drives:
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10607