Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Considering switching from HD3 PCIe to HD Native

Well it looks like I can trade in my Accel core card for HD Native as PCIe is now officially a Legacy system! The trade in will also include a license for PT HD 10, so for a bit more than what it would have cost me to upgrade to HD 10, I'll have an HD Native system and a lot more cash left over to buy a new Mac Pro to run it. This just seems to make so much more sense for my needs instead of upgrading to HDX for 6K. Chances are that HDX will run best on a current machine anyway, so that's another extra cost associated with the upgrade.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:26 PM

Are you referring to the $1595 legacy card to HD Native card offer?

That's a good move, especially since you already got the new HD interface.

Then down the road, you can trade in the HD Native card for the HDX card if you want.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:51 PM

I am considering the same move.......
Will my old blue 192 work with this?
Does the deal include PT10|HD??? the sweetwater ad say "includes PT10..... a $599 value??)........

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDXLeg-HDNat
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 10-22-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Are you referring to the $1595 legacy card to HD Native card offer?

That's a good move, especially since you already got the new HD interface.

Then down the road, you can trade in the HD Native card for the HDX card if you want.
Yes, this is the offer I'm referring to. I think Avid realizes that not every single HD Accel customer will upgrade to Protools HDX. Needs have changed over the years and computers are much more powerful today. Also, moving to HD Native still leaves the door open to HDX if it's ever necessary. The only thing I'll miss is HEAT, but apparently Phoenix II will run native on the AAX format so I'll look into that as a replacement.

The new HD IO is an amazing sounding converter box, so I'm quite happy to stay with Protools.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
I am considering the same move.......
Will my old blue 192 work with this?
Does the deal include PT10|HD??? the sweetwater ad say "includes PT10..... a $599 value??)........

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDXLeg-HDNat
Yes, you can still use your blue 192 IO with HD Native on Protools 10. To answer your second question, the Sweetwater trade in deal does include the license for Protools 10. For someone who doesn't need hundreds of tracks with several plugins on each, HD Native is an excellent way to go. It also softens the admission price into Protools 10.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:00 AM

OK......
So I am thinking hard on going this route.......

1) I usually record less than 8 tracks but sometimes I really need 12. If I go for the OMNI what is the cheapest way to expand track count when needed??

2) I get that PT10 is included....... but is this PT10HD?? or just PT10???

3) I was really hoping they would release a system that decouple me from MacPro's...... Has there been any good success with running HD|Native from a TB expansion box??

4) After 15 years of TDM I need to experience working with HD|Native before I am convinced...... sure wish there was a way to rent a rig for a couple of weeks....... I suppose if I did the trade and decided it didn't fly for me PCIe cards will be so cheap I could always go back...... LOL
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 10-22-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Does the deal include PT10|HD??? the sweetwater ad say "includes PT10..... a $599 value??). http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDXLeg-HDNat
You would want to double check that Upgrade Offer to Pro Tools 10. HD Native requires Pro Tools HD software.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:01 PM

You'll get HD10 with it. Even though you're doing a trade up offer, it's still the same as buying a new one when it comes to purchase and registration.

Anyone who buys any HD system (TDM or Native) brand new from a dealer after Oct. 1st, will automatically qualify for the free upgrade to HD10.

This applies to trade up offers also. It was the same thing with PT HD 9. I did this same trade up offer and got the free upgrade to HD9, even though 8.5 is in the box.

Your HD Native card will probably also have 8.5 in the box. Just put it aside. When you register the activation code for the 8.5 software, an Ilok license for HD 10 will automatically be sent to your Ilok account. Also, the installers for HD 10 will automatically be placed in your Avid account for you to download.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:23 PM

I just pulled the trigger on this trade in offer about an hour ago! After thinking long and hard about it, the pros far outweighed the cons in crossgrading to HD Native. The only thing that worries me a bit is how well it will work on my current Mac Pro and what the tracking latency will be like. My TDM rig was pretty stable, so I wouldn't want to return to a world of hardware buffer errors.

If all goes well, I should have my new system by the end of next week. I have 30 days to send in my PCIe core card, which is decent grace period in case I run into any issues with the Native card. I have to admit that although I'll miss some of my TDM only plugins i.e. HEAT, and Ra, I'm really looking forward to the benefits of Native i.e. no more voice shuffling and burning voices on auxes. The other great thing is that my crossgrade includes the upgrade to PTHD 10, which would have cost me $1000 dollars anyway had I stuck with TDM. It'll be great to be able to experience the 16K of ADC along with a couple other features that wouldn't have been possible on the old, HD Accel system.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:38 AM

I look forward to your findings...performance-wise. HD3 vs. Native, even if it's now PT 10