Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Default Re: The classic 9173 CPU spikes, might be graphic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
In this case I suspect it's a Samsung T3 or T5, and so enabling Trim will not do anything for those USB drives. Which is why I asked *exactly* the drives and how they are connected....and did not get that clear info. It its a SATA drive in a Thunderbolt enclosure, then sure you could enable trim... and would be good advice in general.. but is unlikely to fix any issue here since we already have disk cache involved.
Sorry Darryl I was off the studio so I could not get a clear info !

Now it appears that I made a mistake about my external SSD. Really sorry,

It is a WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD 1To (I was completely off) (560mb/s read and 530mb/s write).
Although those CPU Spikes happened with my previous external HDD too (a 7200 rpm HDD).

Sorry for "Time Capsule" thing too haha.

Well your explanation are spot on and thanks a lot of this !
It seems a lot of things to do just to check if Pro Tools is acting normally, regarding the fact that all the other DAWs I got work flawlessly. But I need Pro Tools so whatever it takes...

I will try that asap, I have 2 HDD backups for this, I'll need to buy a cheap SSD too.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Adding to the more than enough correct info daryll gave you, remember to enable trim mode dor those SSD you add. Ive seen systems with 9173 fixed by just enabling this.
I will have to see how I can do that on my external hard drive so !

(I use external hard drive because I got very heavy sessions that clutters the internal SSD if I mix from it).
Old 10-04-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilla View Post
I will have to see how I can do that on my external hard drive so !

(I use external hard drive because I got very heavy sessions that clutters the internal SSD if I mix from it).
Ok if you will, after doing your backup, Just run from terminal.

sudo trimforce enable

And it will enable it for all your SSD that supoprt it
Old 10-04-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
It is a WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD 1To (I was completely off) (560mb/s read and 530mb/s write).
Although those CPU Spikes happened with my previous external HDD too (a 7200 rpm HDD).
I will eat my hat if drives or trim have anything to do with tour CPU problems (but they can in other situations.).

We seem to be in a Trim rat-hole. But again details asked for... how is that SATA SSD connected, if via USB the. Trim likely will make no difference at all on USB drives (almost all USB-SATA adapters will not pass through the AHCI/SATA TRIM command).
Old 10-04-2019, 10:38 AM

And back to the actual problem... “the more auxes I create...[cpu errors happen more]”. Yep that is unfortunately known/expected behavior with Pro Tools prior to 2019.x. Long chains of plugins created like that run on the same processor core and result in bad latency issues that trigger CPU errors. The changes in 2019.x specifically address that. You will see the CPU load in the meters being very symmetric in those cars, even though the meters won’t show enough time resolution to highlight actual CPU errors. Avoiding long signal chains in older versions was one way to try to reduce problems.

... all good reason to be trying 2019.6, there may be Graphics/CPU issues going on (may need Mojave to help) and this signal chaining stuff is just making things worse.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-04-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I will eat my hat if drives or trim have anything to do with tour CPU problems (but they can in other situations.).

We seem to be in a Trim rat-hole. But again details asked for... how is that SATA SSD connected, if via USB the. Trim likely will make no difference at all on USB drives (almost all USB-SATA adapters will not pass through the AHCI/SATA TRIM command).
Indeed as pointed it will not affect usb drives or ide drives btw. The command will just affect the ones that are supported.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Indeed as pointed it will not affect usb drives or ide drives btw. The command will just affect the ones that are supported.
It's a indeed a SATA to USB external hard drive :).
Old 10-04-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
And back to the actual problem... “the more auxes I create...[cpu errors happen more]”. Yep that is unfortunately known/expected behavior with Pro Tools prior to 2019.x. Long chains of plugins created like that run on the same processor core and result in bad latency issues that trigger CPU errors. The changes in 2019.x specifically address that. You will see the CPU load in the meters being very symmetric in those cars, even though the meters won’t show enough time resolution to highlight actual CPU errors. Avoiding long signal chains in older versions was one way to try to reduce problems.

... all good reason to be trying 2019.6, there may be Graphics/CPU issues going on (may need Mojave to help) and this signal chaining stuff is just making things worse.
The long plugin chain on Aux is indeed an issue. Although I don't think PT 2019 will solve it for me since I experienced the same amount of CPU spikes when trying PT 2019 a few months ago.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
The long plugin chain on Aux is indeed an issue. Although I don't think PT 2019 will solve it for me since I experienced the same amount of CPU spikes when trying PT 2019 a few months ago.
If you get your system to a clean state on Mojave I will be surprised if you still have these problems. *surprised != impossible and improved != fixed for all cases. And if it happens then it's likely to be a plugin(s) causing problems... so test with before you install any third party plugins.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
If you get your system to a clean state on Mojave I will be surprised if you still have these problems. *surprised != impossible and improved != fixed for all cases. And if it happens then it's likely to be a plugin(s) causing problems... so test with before you install any third party plugins.
Yes I will have to try that at some point. But first I will have to pay to update.

I still can't believe all the things I have done and still have to do just to get Pro Tools to work like any other DAW...