Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-01-2005, 01:38 PM

Default ATTN Focusrite OctoPre users, i need your opinion

im currently using the Digimax LT. I love it to death, but im dying to try an OctoPre, and id be almost willing to get rid of it for the OctoPre. But there are a couple of things though that turn me off about it.

1. There is not a pad option on any of the channels. Which I tend to use on some channels of my DigimaxLT. What I want to know is, for people that like that option and have an OctoPre how does one deal with it? Also does the Compressor/Limiter on it make up for that? Cause it says "Each channel also features a compressor / limiter circuit, providing a warm-sounding compressor, which morphs into a brick wall limiter to avoid those critical overs, ensuring total control over all eight channels."

2. The ADAT route is optional. Another $200 just so I can use it via ADAT. I mean I guess they can do that cause they're focusrite and Digi and Focusrite have a relationship.

Maybe im just dying to hear how much of a difference there is between the two. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 04-01-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: ATTN Focusrite OctoPre users, i need your opinion

I'm using one now and I love it. The pad thing does stink, but I haven't really had the need for them yet. I do have line attenuators that I could insert before the inuputs if I needed to (still, it would be a pain having to do that). If you overload the pre the limiter will not save you. If you have a good signal and the pre isn't overloaded, then the limiter will catch overs (though I try to avoid it and keep an unaltered signal). Best advice - never overload a clean pre like that in the first place. The limiter is useful and the compressor is too - pretty smooth for one control. I'd be careful what you use the compressor on, however. I found it works great on vox, acoustic guitar, and bass. On transients I'd only use the limiter as a safety.

Ah yes, the $200 card. Well, you gotta have it if you want additional tracking abilities. We bought our Octopre through Sweetwater, and they installed/warranteed the work for $30. It was worth it IMO.

rockrev

BTW - We have some older Focusrite Green Range gear - the Octopre sounds just as good - even better b/c of the higher caliber converters. You won't be sorry.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:57 PM

Holly Toledo!! they named that city after my grand grand father...

You'll be making a lateral move, and if you don't get the digital out, you'll be better off with your digimax.

Save your money for something high end.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:37 PM

just beware the Octopre doesnt have any inserts