Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 01-26-2019, 06:45 AM

Default Unable to use Pro Tools on iMac Pro with Mojave [solved]

So, I was able to get Pro Tools to work with the iMac Pro and Mojave. It really came down to:
Go to system preferences
Security and Privacy
Privacy
add pro tools to have access to the microphone
I reloaded the drivers and Pro tools, this time I gave the correct permissions under security and privacy in the General tab. It was blocking Pro Tools from downloading. Once that is done
open Pro Tools while holding down N (thanks Darryl)
Choose HDX as your output (if you are using an HDX card)
The software should run fine after that....I just got it to work so not sure if I will run into any bugs, but at least I was able to get the software to work!

---------------------------
Has anyone been able to get the drivers to load on the iMac Pro running Mojave? I get an error message when I start Pro Tools

Could not create a new document because assertion in "volumes/Development/223020/ProTools/DFW/Views/Umenu.MacOS.mm",line 1813

I am using an HDX card with Sonnet TB III chassis. The Chassis is recognized in the system information window, but under PCI, the driver is showing as not installed. I did a clean reinstall of everything, but still nothing.

I understand it takes time to make a new OS compatible with Pro Tools, but it's been almost 4 months since Mojave came out and still no solution.

Any help is much appreciated!

I also run HD Omni, HD I/O, PRE with the HDX card.

Last edited by jasonkalman; 01-26-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Unable to use Pro Tools on iMac Pro with Mojave

There’s a thread on here with someone running PT on a Mac Mini with Mojave. I believe they’re running an HDX rig.

Might be bet to find that thread and look for some info and maybe post in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2019, 01:30 PM

Thanks Sardi! I probably should've mentioned I did everything I could find on this board and the internet. Luckily, my old iMac still works even with Mojave. It seems that if you already had ProTools loaded and then switched to Mojave you were ok....at least I was. But if you started with Mojave (new computer) and migrated ProTools or even loaded everything from scratch, the drivers don't work. Could also be that the new iMac Pro has a variation of Mojave that is complicating things via audio drivers.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:16 PM

Well lots of other folks have HDX working on Mojave. So it’s likely something you are doing... keep working at it, waiting for Avid here is the wrong approach.

A common trap for people in recent MacOS releases is driver permission related issues. I cannot remember what happens with a HDX driver install, but be very careful of dialogue boxes that pop up under other windows, and the option to allow things may expire after 30mins or so from the install. So you have to respond in permissions and security settings when you install. Not saying that is your problem, just you have to be careful with this on recent macOS versions.

The Assert you are getting is a typical stupidly useless pro tools error, likely caused by you not having an IO device selected that has an output. What is the actual playback engine selected? If ProTools is defaulting to Built In input then that’s behaving as expected. Hold down ‘N’ while starting Pro Tools and select BuiltIn Output and play something to confirm your Pro Tools install works at all.

My point is the Assert error is not useful in anyway to think about that, or report here. So you have to get focused: It’s the HDX card not showing up as a device that is the issue. You don’t say what you did, clean MacOS install etc... wether you accepted any security related dialogue pop ups during install, what versions of drivers you are using, or even what version of Pro Tools you are using.

You would likely have been better off starting a thread called “Cannot install HDX Driver on Mojave” and being very clear what you had done and asking people who have it working to help you. The HDX install is your issue and you don’t even mention HDX in the thread title.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Well lots of other folks have HDX working on Mojave. So it’s likely something you are doing... keep working at it, waiting for Avid here is the wrong approach.

A common trap for people in recent MacOS releases is driver permission related issues. I cannot remember what happens with a HDX driver install, but be very careful of dialogue boxes that pop up under other windows, and the option to allow things may expire after 30mins or so from the install. So you have to respond in permissions and security settings when you install. Not saying that is your problem, just you have to be careful with this on recent macOS versions.

The Assert you are getting is a typical stupidly useless pro tools error, likely caused by you not having an IO device selected that has an output. What is the actual playback engine selected? If ProTools is defaulting to Built In input then that’s behaving as expected. Hold down ‘N’ while starting Pro Tools and select BuiltIn Output and play something to confirm your Pro Tools install works at all.

My point is the Assert error is not useful in anyway to think about that, or report here. So you have to get focused: It’s the HDX card not showing up as a device that is the issue. You don’t say what you did, clean MacOS install etc... wether you accepted any security related dialogue pop ups during install, what versions of drivers you are using, or even what version of Pro Tools you are using.

You would likely have been better off starting a thread called “Cannot install HDX Driver on Mojave” and being very clear what you had done and asking people who have it working to help you. The HDX install is your issue and you don’t even mention HDX in the thread title.
Thanks Darryl, the security and privacy changes in Mojave have been the issue all along. Once you successfully navigate through that, you can run Pro Tools!
Old 01-26-2019, 08:33 PM

Default Re: (SOLVED) Unable to use Pro Tools on iMac Pro with Mojave

Really glad you got that sorted. I was being a bit pushy because I *really* wanted you to go back and check carefully. The missed privilege messages are a frequent problem. I hope Avid changes installers to make those things harder to miss, and I hope they fix whatever small IO buffer issues they have... and then officially support Mojave.

Now the next issue you will see is no inputs work in Pro Tools, you have to enable mic inputs for Pro Tools in security and privacy settings. Just a reminder, you probably know that already from using Mojave on your other system.

And a final reminder to look at disabling hyperthreading if you get CPU errors esp. when running native plugins... other threads on DUC about that.