Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Default New Waves update

Version 9 update with AAX built-in and Metafilter for Mercury.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM

Default Re: New Waves update

Sure, my WUP just expired shortly. Nice. Bring me V10 and I'll consider re-WUP'ing, but for this one, no thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 AM

This whole waves debacle is a fools doing and I have Stopped WUP'ing for good.

Waves are are just a bunch of (whatever word you feel suited for a forum) and I am D O N E !!

Anyone wanna buy a Mercury Bundle in "Great condition"

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-04-2014, 07:12 AM

Have to ask what "debacle" is that?
People complain about three things.

WUPing - I have always received new plugins that I thought were worth the WUP cost and you do not pay more for skipping years.

The HDX-DSP issue which is unfortunate for HDX users, but many companies are not doing HDX now because the market is not there to make a profit - it's called business.
Many seem to misunderstand what the WUP promised them.
The agreement says that if you pay for WUP you will be kept current on major DAW's. Quite reasonably that means with the current plugin formats.
You could never buy a WUP that covered AAX-DSP.

Multi-monitor display - Should have been fixed long age, but a multiport graphics setup which works was posted on the forum long ago.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post

Multi-monitor display - Should have been fixed long age, but a multiport graphics setup which works was posted on the forum long ago.
Excuse me Dave, but could elaborate on this multiport setup. I have been totally unable to run all of my monitors with Waves in the main room. We have 3 over the console and 2 at the MIDI station and have (so far) been unable to run waves in that room.

All other pug-ins function perfectly with this setup, only Waves is broken here.

I can live with WUP, and I can get around the "no DSP" issue, but the broken software is something else.

I look forward to your fix. Thanks

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-04-2014, 07:41 AM

I also don't understand the controversy. With most other companies, you end up paying the equivalent of WUP, it's just more random and unpredictable. Perfect example: Do you want to use PT10 on Mavericks? You can't. You have to fork over $300-600 for PT11. Same with earlier versions of Protools. Would you like to use BFD2 in PT11? You can't. You must pay $149 for an upgrade to BFD3 to get AAX support. And so on. Yeah, there are a few exceptions like McDSP, but overall, just to be compatible with new operating systems (not even counting the change to AAX), you end up having to pay for upgrades every couple of years or more, for either DAW's, plugins, or both.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
Many seem to misunderstand what the WUP promised them.
The agreement says that if you pay for WUP you will be kept current on major DAW's. Quite reasonably that means with the current plugin formats.
You could never buy a WUP that covered AAX-DSP.
The previous language for WUP, which can no longer be found on Waves' website, said, "COMPLETE compatibility with ALL major hosts and operating systems". Now the language is broken up to be much more vague.

COMPLETE compatibility with Pro Tools includes AAX-DSP in my view. PARTIAL compatibility would include AAX-Native, but not AAX-DSP.

Now, I understand that perhaps it is so costly for Waves to create AAX-DSP versions that it would not be profitable for them to do it. But, I think their original selling points for WUP got them into trouble here and upset a lot of people. They should not have offered COMPLETE compatibility if they could not deliver it.

When OS changes are made, Waves works behind the scenes to do whatever is required to make their plug-ins compatible with all major operating systems. However, when Pro Tools made changes to the plug-in format, they folded. Where they once supported DSP based processing, they folded. They did not continue to offer the type of compatibility they previously offered. Now, some will say that it's Avid's fault for creating a new plug-in format. Yet, Waves will bend over backwards to insure compatibility when new or updated operating systems are released. In the end, I think it comes down to what works for Waves to maximize profits. If Waves can't continue to operate as a company, then nobody benefits. But, I think they changed the rules of the game once it was started, which leaves a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.

I now have to pay $300 a year to remain compatible with native plug-ins that I absolutely cannot use during large, live tracking sessions, and to be compatible with SoundGrid, which I will never buy. Waves converted my former TDM license to SoundGrid for me. But, I need to open a lot of older sessions that are full of Waves plug-ins, and there are some Waves plug-ins that I can use "native" in non-tracking situations. But, I hesitate to do this. Last minute fixes or punch ins require me to bypass native plug-ins.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 AM

To answer why "my opinion is what it is"

1. When you pay 10K or more for something that was gonna include "everything" and it doesn't I feel duped.

2. Multiple monitor issues

3. The actual cost of WUP for Mercury (which doesn't included what we were promised) is WAY TO MUCH!

4. The Soundgrid developement istead of making working DSP versions of AAX 64 bit format is very wrong as we paid A LOT for our TDM version of Mercury only to be using Native now

That is in my world a debacle..

Maybe I am alone in this but still ..

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 AM

Question. The WUP for Mercury TDM (of SoundGrid) is $300 a year. What is the WUP for Mercury Native?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:09 AM

I've WUP'ed 3 times in 13 years. Only when I needed it.

If you're the type that needs the latest and greatest, it can be too tempting which is of course what Waves banks on.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.