Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2012, 03:09 AM

Default Best Screen Casting Program for mac?

Ok I'm trying to do some screen casting I guess it's called to make video demonstrations. I don't know if you guys have seen the videos from air users blog but I really like what he's done as far as that is concerned. The problem I have is when I record with quick times it's doesn't record the animations really that well that pro tools uses. I also tried screen flow out but I have an issue with the audio. I really would like a program that can capture the audio that I'm using directly from pro tools and also allow me to use an external microphone to explain exactly what I'm doing in pro tools.
-Purchased Plugs: Tracks S3 Deluxe, Motu Symphonic Instrument, Abbey Roads Drums 70s, and Eleven LE
-PT LE 8.04 CS 2 (Mac) and PT LE 8.04 (Win 7)
Myspace undergoing *Beta Testing* Thrush Records
Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Best Screen Casting Program for mac?

Screenflick or alternatives:

http://alternativeto.net/software/screenflick/

Old 01-06-2012, 12:41 PM

Screenflick unfortunetly could not handle the intensity of what I was doing. I'm gonna give cam a try but I'd rather not spend the 300 but if I could use it on both my windows and my mac that might end up being worth it... hard to say at this point though. Thank you for the links. Biggest problem I have had though is FPS and then how I'm going to route the audio. Right now my idea is to just record from the line in on the mac routing a stereo in from the mbox. The only problem with that solution is that it's not really how I'd ideally like to approach the audio recording trying to get the best possible sound.
-Purchased Plugs: Tracks S3 Deluxe, Motu Symphonic Instrument, Abbey Roads Drums 70s, and Eleven LE
-PT LE 8.04 CS 2 (Mac) and PT LE 8.04 (Win 7)
Myspace undergoing *Beta Testing* Thrush Records
Old 01-06-2012, 01:16 PM

TechSmith Camtasia:mac. I use it on Windows and Camtasia just gets better and better with every release.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Ishowu used to be pretty good.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:03 AM

Hi
As you can imagine 400+ videos later I've put them through their paces.

I used to use iShowU HD then moved to Screenflow, mainly as the editing is fast and it is now quite flexible.

The audio on all of them is always a pain in the ass, what I decided a long time ago was to use a separate external mixer. Pro Tools goes into it and so does my microphone then it all gets sub mixed back into the line-in of my Mac and captured.

I did try various things like Soundflower and Jack for capturing audio but none of them were that successful.

Founder of the Expert Sites.