Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Default How do I get Low Latency Monitoring on 1814 with m-powered pro tools v7?

I just bought a m-audio firewire series 1814 and version 7 of the m-powered pro tools software. The latency is crap. I am running a Mac with version 10.5.4 OS. My old Digi 001 had low latency monitoring and I can't find any answers online as to how to fix this problem. Please help. It makes it almost impossible to record anything in time. Thanks for your time...
Old 09-03-2008, 05:16 AM

Default Re: How do I get Low Latency Monitoring on 1814 with m-powered pro tools v7?

Hi!

you will never find this feature, it´s gone...

You have to monitor your recording source via the internal mixer of your 1814 software. That should work for you
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 09-03-2008, 05:58 AM

Default Re: How do I get Low Latency Monitoring on 1814 with m-powered pro tools v7?

I understand that I can monitor the first track I do this way, but when I go to record the next track, I can't hear what I did on the first track. The direct monitoring only lets you hear what is coming in on the interface, not what you previously recorded. If I use the a/b function, they are still out of sync. Please help...
Old 09-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Avid

This should be as simple as making sure the 'Software Returns' in the 1814 control panel are turned up.

Here's an image of the 1814 control panel:

1814 Control Panel

The 1/2 buttons below the faders tell it which outputs it should go to. The 1/2 sw rtn channel should have that enabled, as well as for any other hardware input you want to monitor directly.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 PM

I find this very misleading and deceptive. I have the same issues as I just bought a Profire 2626. On the Digi info pages for Protools M-Powered it specifically says as one of the features for "Recording" (quote):

Low-latency monitoring while recording

Finding out now that it does not support this feature causes me serious problems. I know that I can use the Profire 2626 control panel to monitor in the hardware, but how in the world do you do standard punch in/out with the same kind of auto input monitoring that is standard recording procedure in the whole industry. Also, there is a page that compares Protools M-Powered and Protools LE, and no mention is made of this difference there either.

I really feel misled! Why is this feature not supported?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 AM

If I set the faders like you suggested, there is a split second latency between the 2 signals. please help...
Old 09-06-2008, 11:26 AM

Lower your buffer size when recording.

Then move it back up when mixing.

works for me....
Old 09-07-2008, 07:04 PM

And make sure the track you are recording to is muted.

Myself I never bother monitoring through plugins when I'm tracking
instruments. I prefer to concentrate on the performance and getting
a good take. If I monitor through a plugin I find it destracting.

I suppose if I owned an HD system I would do that more often but
I don't think that will happen anytime soon....
Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrohowie View Post
I find this very misleading and deceptive. I have the same issues as I just bought a Profire 2626. On the Digi info pages for Protools M-Powered it specifically says as one of the features for "Recording" (quote):

Low-latency monitoring while recording
I think there's some terminology confusion going on here. Low-latency monitoring while recording, in this case, is referring to using the Hardware Monitoring option of the 1814. The only devices that support Low Latency Monitoring Mode (the option within Pro Tools) are the 002 and 003 series devices.

In the case where you're trying to do punch-ins, reducing your HW buffer size is the way to go - and is actually better in that you still get full use of your Aux tracks and insert plug-ins (which are disabled in the Low Latency Monitoring Mode of the 002/003..).

That's all that LLM really is - a reduction of the HW buffer size assisted by disabling plug-ins and Aux tracks.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dead View Post
I just bought a m-audio firewire series 1814 and version 7 of the m-powered pro tools software. The latency is crap. I am running a Mac with version 10.5.4 OS. My old Digi 001 had low latency monitoring and I can't find any answers online as to how to fix this problem. Please help. It makes it almost impossible to record anything in time. Thanks for your time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dead View Post
Hey Dirty D. In the manual of the 1814 the only work around is that you mute
the pro tools channel your recording on,which will give you a normal signal.
The only con of it is, when your doing punch in's you have to
tell the recording artist to sing along as usual,and then when the punch point
comes up you hit the mute and the 3 button (if you set up your recording key that way) at the same time. YES THIS WAY DRIVES ME MAD.

Or you can set up your tracks lets say 4 tracks for chorus and 1 track to
record with the mute button on. Then when you record you drop your pass
to one of the empty channels. The recording artist will hear their take.
thats another work around I learned from another producer who co-engineered a session with me.

The other thing that sucks is when a recording wants to hear more of their voice,you have to turn down the music,versus in the past pro tools with latency control you just turn their vocals up on the recording channel.

Yeah you can adjust the buffer size on pro tools but you still hear the latency.it' sounds flanged. For pc using the 1814 has the buffer control on the 1814 software mixer set up,and everything is fine.

I'm currently looking for another audio midi interface and chuck that 1814.