Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2002, 12:48 AM

Default Converting MIDI to Audio

I'm recording midi onto audio tracks. Does anyone have any advice on what kind of levels I shoud use? Also should I turn off the effects in my synth?

Thanks

Composer/Wannabe Engineer [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Converting MIDI to Audio

If I understand you----You've recorded midi from your synth onto midi tracks in Protools and it plays back from Protools into your synth ok. Now your need to record the audio playback from your synth onto an audio track in ProTools?

Well....I use normal levels, just don't let the tracks clip and listen for any distortion. And if you will be adding effects later, I would turn off the board effects. If you add effects when you record, you can't remove them later.

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 10-07-2002, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the reply Doc, appreciate the advice. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 10:33 PM

As far as recording with effects or not I would say it depends on the sound. Many times on pad or synth sound the FX are an integral part of the sound. I would record these with the FX. But if it is something like a Piano or string sound with reverb , you might want to turn the reverb off if you have a good Reverb plug-in. I prefer Reverb One and RenVerb over the on board reverbs of my synths.

The levels should be just like any other tracks. After reading many threads on this forum, my current method is to record everything with peaks around -10dbFS. Ideally, to get the best S/N from your synth, your MIDI volume should be at 127 for the whole track, any volume changes should be done on the audio track. But this can be hard sometimes if the volume changes are part of the performace. This is getting pretty nit-picky. The reality is that you probably won't notice that big of a difference.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:54 AM

Thanks Chris [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]