Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 12-02-2019, 04:38 PM

Default PT Crashes every time I reduce playback buffer

Hey all, I'm scratching my head a bit here.

Recently PT has begun to crash without warning every time I reduce the buffer size in the playback engine. Only when it is being reduced, though. Then I can open protools and the new buffer rate is there, but if I forget to save before changing the rate then I have to go to the backup folder. Having to explain this to clients who are staring at me with their instrument, ready to shred and protools needs a few minutes to start back up is getting annoying.

I've just updated my lynx drivers and firmware. I'm on a lynx aurora 16 with the pcie AEC16e in the computer.

Windows 10 is the OS. It is the most recent update.

I have the most recent version of PT2019 as well.

Is this a "trash prefs" instance? I usually try to avoid then when possible because of how many things I have custom in my workflow, but I can try this if there isn't a great option here.

I have ASIO4All, and it seems to help, BUT it will only recognize 8 inputs/outputs from the lynx for some reason. Maybe I haven't played with it enough? It seems the Lynx driver/firmware should be good here.

Anyhow, I'm all ears if you guys can help me with this latest one.

Thanks!

Neil
Old 12-02-2019, 08:09 PM

Default Re: PT Crashes every time I reduce playback buffer

The thing which provokes a crash more than anything else, at least for me, is changing the buffer size. When sessions are small it's rarely an issue, but if there are a few VIs and other CPU eaters, I'm nervous to touch that menu. This seems to be getting worse over the past couple of years.

What I try to do now, before switching buffer sizes, is monitor the cores and make sure that the system is not anywhere close to 100%. I also stop playback and let it smooth out for a few seconds. Let reverbs subside, etc. Clear things out. This helps, but PT still crashes far too often when performing this common action.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishsixstringer View Post
Hey all, I'm scratching my head a bit here.

Recently PT has begun to crash without warning every time I reduce the buffer size in the playback engine. Only when it is being reduced, though. Then I can open protools and the new buffer rate is there, but if I forget to save before changing the rate then I have to go to the backup folder. Having to explain this to clients who are staring at me with their instrument, ready to shred and protools needs a few minutes to start back up is getting annoying.

I've just updated my lynx drivers and firmware. I'm on a lynx aurora 16 with the pcie AEC16e in the computer.

Windows 10 is the OS. It is the most recent update.

I have the most recent version of PT2019 as well.

Is this a "trash prefs" instance? I usually try to avoid then when possible because of how many things I have custom in my workflow, but I can try this if there isn't a great option here.

I have ASIO4All, and it seems to help, BUT it will only recognize 8 inputs/outputs from the lynx for some reason. Maybe I haven't played with it enough? It seems the Lynx driver/firmware should be good here.

Anyhow, I'm all ears if you guys can help me with this latest one.

Thanks!

Neil
Hi, It could be a matter of too many processes running at the same time, or not a powerful enough computer - impossible to guess without much more info on your setup. Have you gone through everything here? (Optimization/Troubleshooting/System Report)

Help Us Help You

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-03-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Hi, It could be a matter of too many processes running at the same time, or not a powerful enough computer - impossible to guess without much more info on your setup. Have you gone through everything here? (Optimization/Troubleshooting/System Report)

Help Us Help You

Thanks for the reply! My computer is a beast. It is a 10 core i7 with 64gb of ram. All the optimization stuff Avid says to do is done. This was a fresh install of windows, protools, etc 3 months ago. When looking at the system usage, it is RARELY above 20% total. Even small sessions crash when switching to smaller buffer sizes.

Another possibly related issue: Playback is never an issue, but even with the 1024sample buffer, often real time bounces fail. It is very frustrating, because I mix hybrid through a fair bit of hardware. I end up having to record the mix into a new stereo track and then apply the mastering chain in a new session. But, that isn't ideal for my workflow.

I'm starting to really think that the lynx drivers are horrible.

Neil
Old 12-03-2019, 08:08 AM

Does this still happen if you start the session with all plug ins disabled?
PT 2021.10 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Pro 6.1 2013 on Mojave 10.14.6, 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingrockstudios View Post
Does this still happen if you start the session with all plug ins disabled?
Oh, I haven't tried this yet. I'll do that in a few and report back.

Thanks

Neil
Old 12-06-2019, 09:26 AM

Even with plugins and hardware inserts inactive, I get crashes when lowering the buffer size. This is with zero other programs or operations happing on the computer, the playback stopped, and the CPU is sitting at 1%.

Any other ideas?

Neil
Old 12-06-2019, 09:47 AM

Is it only on lowering or does it crash on raising? Is there Lynx software that might prevent changing the buffer size by other programs? I think some audio drivers have an option for that. Had a problem like that with MOTU drivers once..
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 12-06-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliderman View Post
Is it only on lowering or does it crash on raising? Is there Lynx software that might prevent changing the buffer size by other programs? I think some audio drivers have an option for that. Had a problem like that with MOTU drivers once..
Yeah, only when Reducing the buffer, not increasing. The LYNX firmware and drivers are most recent update (which is only about 3 weeks ago, actually). The LYNX is set to follow the DAW buffer.

Neil
Old 12-06-2019, 11:17 AM

What data drives do you have and how are they connected?

I'd run all disk utilities to ensure the drives are good.
Download BlackMagic's Disk Speed Test to ensure speed isn't ridiculously low.

May not be an issue, or it may be.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones