Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2016, 10:18 PM

Default Virtual Instruments package - violin

Does anyone know of a good and relatively inexpensive virtual instruments package for ProTools?

I'm not musically inclined at all. I am not looking to make music. I am looking to use musical notes/sounds in a sound fx project. I specifically need a virtual violin.

I've never used midi, but it seems like the best method.

My limitations are obtaining the software, and learning how to use them to achieve the desired result. So the cheaper, and simpler the user interface, the better.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Virtual Instruments package - violin

Pro Tools comes with some neat VIs – including MiniGrand Piano.

(Pro Tools 10 uses 32bit Plug-Ins - not the 64bit Plug-Ins used by Pro Tools 11 & 12)

Download and install the 32 bit version of UVI Workstation 2.6.4 (Freebie) http://www.uvi.net/en/content/113-downloads
How to use UVI Workstation:Get Going Fast - UVI Workstation Jump Start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvgsWRoPbiI

Download and install Violin (Freebie) by Virharmonic:
https://www.virharmonic.com/violin_freebie
Load this Violin into UVI Workstation in Pro Tools
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * Studio One Pro 6.6 * Harrison Mixbus 10 Pro * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 & Air 32 MINI * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock * 3 TB Samsung SSDs * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop & 24” BENQ LED GL2450-B & Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor
Old 05-10-2016, 10:33 PM

This is great. Thank you. Any idea where the "EXTRAS" files get downloaded to? I am using a Mac, and the installation doesn't specify which folder they go to, and UVI doesn't automatically find them.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:08 AM

Check your Downloads folder, they should be in there. Also, with UVI, you have to direct it to where your files are located. I would create a folder for those sounds and move the downloaded files there, (possibly on an external drive?) then open the UVI Browser and direct it to that folder. Once it knows where it is, it can always find it.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2016, 09:28 PM

Thank you.

But to specify, I found the EXTRAS package. It needs to be unzipped/installed. Usually, within the installation dialogue box, it would ask me where it wants to save all of the Program-Files (in this case, each individual instrument algorithm). But it's not asking me. So I "installed" them 3 times, but can't find out where they saved to, and thus can't tell UVI which folder to link to.