Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2009, 10:43 AM

Default Re: 3 video monitors

I just finished upgrading my system and it now has three or four monitors available.

It is a mac pro 8-core with 8gb ram and an internal 3tb raid array for final cut and a g-tech firewire drive for pro tools. It also has two ATI graphics cards and a matrox mxo2.

There is a short video here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns-tQPrOcjE

I like the flexibility of three screens and it works very well with pro tools and final cut pro.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
Your source? Having 2 different video cards in my Mac Pro driving three monitors without any problems almost three years.
I also have never had problems with 2 different video cards in numerous G4 machines. 3 video cards was a little much for these, but I never had trouble with 2.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
Your source? Having 2 different video cards in my Mac Pro driving three monitors without any problems almost three years.
Trying different cards in a few different machines (no Intel tho)... Always got better results with matching cards...YMMV...

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Maybe take a look at Matrox TripleHead2Go.

I am considering this setup on a MacPro: one output for Edit Window, one for Mix Window, and one going to a HDMI splitter for Control Room and Studio TV for ADR.
HTH.
This setup is working for us fine for about 2 years now.
(2) Monitors hooked up on the Matrox-which divides the resolution and gives you an extended desktop-and the second DVI from the Mac feeds a progector.
I have also had good results with this: http://thehdpix.com/ from Atlona.
using it with 24 or 26' monitors.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Maybe take a look at Matrox TripleHead2Go.

I am considering this setup on a MacPro: one output for Edit Window, one for Mix Window, and one going to a HDMI splitter for Control Room and Studio TV for ADR.
HTH.
Hi, there, be careful with that configuration! The TripleHead works as advertised, but it has a practical drawback imo. You get one giant desktop, where the menu bar spans across all three monitors. The menu items are on the leftmost monitor and if your application isn't on that scren it's a pita. The date and spotlight are on the rightmost monitor. Imagine that setup before buying it. Also, the default position for icons on the finder (Hard drives, inserted DVDs or USBs) is always on the upper right monitor and you can't change it. Also I could not find the way to use the tripleHead with only 2 outputs (You must use all 3 monitors)
I guess it's ok for fixed setups or very special applications, but for day to day use of the OS it's extremely impractical.
Better solution is the second graphics card or the usb converters, they give you independent screens.
cheers