Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2023, 08:25 PM

Default Melodyne Track mode SOMETIMES converts all clips to melodyne?

I am not sure what I am doing, but there are two separate modes of operation that Melodyne ARA enabled tracks seem to adhere to:

A: every single audio clip on that you record or drag down onto the track will automatically be converted into a "melodyne clip", regardless of if you have changed anything or not

B: only clips that I right click and go to melodyne>edit will be converted to one of these melodyne clips, and they can happily live side by side with non-melodyne clips on the same track

I much prefer B, as there is no confusion which clips I have touched with melodyne or not. And there is way less ARA data saving

How do I make sure only B happens?
Old 08-28-2023, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Melodyne Track mode SOMETIMES converts all clips to melodyne?

You probably have Melodyne in track mode and not clip mode. Available at the top of the window or with Command Shift T/C to switch. ARA seems wrought with too many issues to bother though.
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 11-02-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
You probably have Melodyne in track mode and not clip mode. Available at the top of the window or with Command Shift T/C to switch. ARA seems wrought with too many issues to bother though.
Is anyone else having this issue? It's been a little while since I last used PT but the last time I did I was able to consolidate just a single clip and then select Melodyne-Edit and only that clip showed up in Melodyne. Now every clip on the track shows up as being analyzed by Melodyne. Selecting "clip mode" inside the interface of Melodyne does not solve the issue, which is that I don't want Melodyne to analyze anything other than just the clip I selected.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:42 PM

I've had this happen to me as well. These days, I still lean toward using the Melodyne Plugin over the ARA version. Another cheat is to select the clip you wish to edit and copy just that clip to another blank audio track. Once you do your edits, commit the result and then copy it back onto the original track. This may seem like a lot of extra work, but it really isn't

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-02-2023, 10:45 PM

I know exactly what is causing this.

The first iteration of Melodyne ARA worked like "B" listed from the OP. But there have been a ton of timing issues with ARA especially with tempo changes. When we reported them, I think the Avid team mistakenly thought it had something to do with not understanding how Tick based tracks are supposed to work. So I believe they came up with a solution of requiring all clips on a Tick based audio track to become Melodyne analyzed.

In my opinion, this was a really really bad move on their part. First of all, it has not fixed any of the issues that happen when there are tempo changes with Melodyne ARA. Major issues with tempo/meter changes still exist. Second, it has now shut down my ability to have tracks Tick enabled when using Melodyne ARA as it will cause too much Melodyne Data to be part of the session causing far more ARA saving hangs with Auto Save and regular saves.

So in conclusion, switch your tracks to Sample based before enacting Melodyne ARA or else it will analyze everything and quickly get you into the constant Saving Ara hangs.

I wish:
1. That if Avid still thinks requiring Tick based tracks to have all clips analyzed for Melodyne, I would love to see them make this an option to turn off in Preferences.

2. That Avid/Celemony will consider fixing the tempo/meter changes bug.

3. That Avid/Celemony will figure out how to get past the Saving Ara hangs. This never existed when using using Melodyne as a plugin. This is not only a workflow killer, but when it locks up for 5 seconds to create the save, if you are in a middle of a click with the mouse, it won't get the release of the mouse causing some weirdness when it stops the 5 second hang.

4. (kind of unrelated) Please, please, please make the Melodyne window undockable and the ability to have multiple instances of it like how the MIDI Editor works.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM

Dizzi, you seem to be right on. When I change the track to Samples rather than Ticks, Melodyne only analyzes the clip that I selected. I also agree with/second your proposed solutions.

I've been using Studio One for the past 7 years almost entirely because of Melodyne ARA being so much faster for my workflow. I'm hoping to move back to PT to make collaboration easier. It took Studio One a little while to make Autosave work transparently in Projects with ARA, but they eventually got it to the point where you don't notice it unless you have *many* tracks open with Melodyne active on them. So I'm confident that PT can get there as well.