Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2023, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Is the iLOk site dead or what?

The real frustration is that those who rip off their software never suffer the inconvenience. I always use a physical iLok, but always worry when I leave the studio empty.
Old 01-10-2023, 04:56 AM

Couldn't log into the Cloud this morning and I have 69 products locked out of 182. No more Cloud!

Already had this with eLicencer (only worse, because it was 100% products) and it's over. Steinberg did a pretty good job of transferring the system (which still allows two active workstations, by the way). I had more confidence in iLok, but now...

P.S. Server now (8:50) available in Canada. Phew.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com

Last edited by cmbourget; 01-10-2023 at 05:59 AM. Reason: p.s.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:10 AM

Well, I transferred everything to my physical iLok and took the insurance (Zero Downtime Subscription). Peace, I hope...

I would love to hear about the decisions made by the users. Most will stay put and trust the iLok Cloud, but my experience is that what happens one day can happen another day. And that we must beware of humans, beware even more of computers, but even more of networks!

• Etc.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
Well, I transferred everything to my physical iLok and took the insurance (Zero Downtime Subscription). Peace, I hope...
That insurance won't help us a jot when the servers are down. In fact the TLC part of it makes it more precarious - if you have to renew the license when the servers are down you're stuffed. Without TLC you don't need to renew.

TLC has always been a trade off for me - either run the risk for theft and loss, or run the risk of being unable to work when you need it. Pick one.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-10-2023, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
That insurance won't help us a jot when the servers are down. In fact the TLC part of it makes it more precarious - if you have to renew the license when the servers are down you're stuffed. Without TLC you don't need to renew.

TLC has always been a trade off for me - either run the risk for theft and loss, or run the risk of being unable to work when you need it. Pick one.
You can renew whenever you want. No need to wait till the last moment and run any risk.
TLC is a good system.
Old 01-10-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin ice View Post
I always use a physical iLok, but always worry when I leave the studio empty.
Same here. With the number of years I've had this, it looks pretty ragged but it works great!
Old 01-10-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbass View Post
You can renew whenever you want. No need to wait till the last moment and run any risk.
TLC is a good system.
Sure, but with such a background process, it's very easy to forget.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 01-10-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:

I would say this is a false sense of security. At the end of the day all of everyones assets reside in the digital domain (IE some sort of database.) If that data disappears you will have to prove every purchase going back years. This would make "Zero Downtime" a failure if you were to have to wait till a backup was restored or in a worst case situation, prove ownership. Luckily that day has not come. But if recent history tells us anything, it is around the corner.
HerronSFX Instagram
Old 01-10-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:

It would take two simultaneous bad lucks: the iLok breaking + a server failure (or maintenance). That's too much bad luck. I figure the iLok will definitely not break, but if it does, the server is there with insurance, even if it takes 24 hours. I'd rather do that than trust a network every day.

p.s. In addition to the terrible problems I (and all users) experienced when Steinberg's eLicencer system went crazy, I also experienced a broken eLicencer. Hellish. I even had to send, at their request, a picture to Steinberg of my eLicencer crushed under a hammer blow, in order to prove its definitive death...then I had to buy a new eLicencer, then make the transfer. All this without being able to work.

• Etc.
Old 01-10-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
Couldn't log into the Cloud this morning and I have 69 products locked out of 182. No more Cloud!

Already had this with eLicencer (only worse, because it was 100% products) and it's over. Steinberg did a pretty good job of transferring the system (which still allows two active workstations, by the way). I had more confidence in iLok, but now...

P.S. Server now (8:50) available in Canada. Phew.
Ilok cloud is the worst. I never use cloud and have to bring my ilok with me

www.sugarhillstudios713.com