Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2015, 11:47 AM

Default BOOM + Control Surface = quirk

Can anybody repeat this bug in the software mapping on other control surfaces?

I'm currently using a Command 8 with PT11.3.1 (Windows), and if I solo any individual Kit piece (i.e. Snare, or Kick etc) on it's individual strip within the instrument itself, it mutes it.

Conversely, if I mute an individual kit piece, it solos it.

Channel mutes and solos work perfectly normally - just the individual switches on the instrument pieces are reversed, in terms of functionality.

Is this unique to the Command 8, to my system, or is it repeatable on other (Eucon / HUI) control surfaces - I've never noticed it before.

Cheers!
Old 03-03-2015, 03:17 PM

Default Re: BOOM + Control Surface = quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
Can anybody repeat this bug in the software mapping on other control surfaces?

I'm currently using a Command 8 with PT11.3.1 (Windows), and if I solo any individual Kit piece (i.e. Snare, or Kick etc) on it's individual strip within the instrument itself, it mutes it.

Conversely, if I mute an individual kit piece, it solos it.

Channel mutes and solos work perfectly normally - just the individual switches on the instrument pieces are reversed, in terms of functionality.

Is this unique to the Command 8, to my system, or is it repeatable on other (Eucon / HUI) control surfaces - I've never noticed it before.

Cheers!
Hmmm...that's not one I've heard of before. I use a Yamaha Motif XS8 as my main MIDI controller, and I have never run into this particular issue. Very odd. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Hmmm...that's not one I've heard of before. I use a Yamaha Motif XS8 as my main MIDI controller, and I have never run into this particular issue. Very odd. Good luck.

Yeah, actually isn't Boom one of the few PT plug-ins made by Avid (Vacuum being another) that allows you to use MIDI learn to control it's parameters?

I'll have a look at that, though there's potential for a giant clash of controllers there, as the Command 8 takes priority (might be possible to have a different plug-in focused, but have the Boom Instrument track selected, so that MIDI input is routed there).

Just strange that a dedicated Pro Tools controller has the mapping bassackwards.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:16 AM

I had wondered if this were a quirk with Pro Tools 11, as the Command 8 is not officially a supported peripheral anymore.

Tried it out using Pro Tools 10, for which the Command 8 is an officially supported controller, and it exhibits exactly the same problem.

I can only conclude that either the original Boom plug-in map was incorrectly coded / buggy (perhaps someone with another Digidesign / Avid / Euphonix control surface can chime in?), or that the control surface firmware introduced a unique glitch.